Auteur Sujet: Problems with LXDE  (Lu 45180 fois)

djohnston

• Invité
Problems with LXDE
« le: 04 juin 2013 à 04:04:33 »
The first post in this thread has been moved to here. The reason is that this thread has become a mix of LXDE and other help answers, as well as an assortment of how-tos.

« Modifié: 06 juin 2013 à 21:42:42 par djohnston »

Hors ligne patrick013

• Membre Senior
Re : Problems with LXDE
« Réponse #1 le: 04 juin 2013 à 05:03:35 »
The installed applications are part of the Debian LXDE desktop, except for file-roller which replaced Xarchiver.

I put a copy of PeaZip portable in mine.    It's supposed to have 100's
of filetypes.    Just an idea.

Can't get used to using a root logoff, and haven't found a good theme
yet, but my Debian LXDE otherwise works great.

Have a good one.

Patrick

djohnston

• Invité
« Réponse #2 le: 04 juin 2013 à 08:48:30 »
Can't get used to using a root logoff, and haven't found a good theme yet, but my Debian LXDE otherwise works great.

root logoff? Do you mean you can't logout or shutdown/reboot unless you are user root? If so, something's missing.

Hors ligne patrick013

• Membre Senior
« Réponse #3 le: 04 juin 2013 à 14:21:18 »
root logoff? Do you mean you can't logout or shutdown/reboot unless you are user root? If so, something's missing.

Yes, if there's any window open it needs the root password,
otherwise it logs right out.    Debian's the only one that does
that.       Any fix for that ?

THX

Patrick

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
« Réponse #4 le: 04 juin 2013 à 14:47:24 »
If root is active then the root password is needed to log out, or the root activity shut down.  For example, if Synaptic is open, or apt-get is still live in a terminal the logout command will trigger a request for the root password so that the system can shut down those apps.  If you close them manually then the system will logout without error.
What can go wrong !!!

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #5 le: 04 juin 2013 à 15:46:17 »
Hi,

Please use the link with this path: http://tyruiop.eu/~melodie/Downloads/ISOS/LinuxVillage/Debian

The other one is only a symlink which I will remove on day next. (No need to thank me, but if you want to thank someone it would be Nazral who offers this hosting to me at no cost).

Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #6 le: 04 juin 2013 à 16:38:46 »
Debian's the only one that does that. Any fix for that ?

Perhaps polkit authorizations. This is the guess I would do.

Look in the directory: /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d : is there a file in it ?

If not, you could try to use this one:
http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/debian/configurations/55-myconf3.pkla

name is as you want, you need a number and the .pkla at the end.

You can change the unix group as per this file:
http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/debian/configurations/55-myconf2.pkla

or this file:
http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/debian/configurations/55-myconf.pkla

your user needs to be in the group "sudo", or "polkituser" or "wheel", if it belongs to one of these, then you can write it in the Identity=unix-group:something line.

Hors ligne patrick013

• Membre Senior
« Réponse #7 le: 04 juin 2013 à 18:17:42 »
Perhaps polkit authorizations. This is the guess I would do.

Well I'm right in the middle of backing everything up, so will try this
shortly.

There is a LXPolkit and a gnome-polkit which I've tried both.

If it works without sudo that would be nice.    The fellow at livarp
has his Debian working logouts without a root password, don't
know exactly how yet.   Something to do later.

thanks for the response(s).

Patrick

djohnston

• Invité
« Réponse #8 le: 04 juin 2013 à 19:14:51 »
Please use the link with this path: http://tyruiop.eu/~melodie/Downloads/ISOS/LinuxVillage/Debian

The other one is only a symlink which I will remove on day next.
I don't understand. Are you saying the direct links I posted to the iso and md5 sum files will disappear?

djohnston

• Invité
« Réponse #9 le: 04 juin 2013 à 19:22:28 »
If it works without sudo that would be nice.    The fellow at livarp has his Debian working logouts without a root password, don't know exactly how yet. Something to do later.

You should not need to use sudo or any root privileges to logout. Even with no policykit. As far as shutdown and poweroff requests, that is usually handled by consolekit. If you have a standard Debian LXDE installation, you should have no problems whatsoever. I've never encountered this with Debian. Unless ...

Are you using a login manager, such as LightDM, XDM, Slim, etc? The login manager package installs and configures consolekit. But, to logout, without reboot or shutdown, no policykit or consolekit is required. Unless the situation is as Taco.22 described.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #10 le: 04 juin 2013 à 19:55:01 »
You should not need to use sudo or any root privileges to logout. Even with no policykit. As far as shutdown and poweroff requests, that is usually handled by consolekit.

Consolekit makes use of some rules. The above files make the rules more flexible.

The "sudo" part I mentioned is related to groups to which the priviledge of shutting down without the root password will be given. Therefore to use it you need to check the /etc/group file and the groups the user belong to. Another possibility if I remember would to put "Identity=user:login_name_of_the_user" instead of "Identity=unix-group:something".

Exemples:
http://mdzlog.alcor.net/2010/06/27/navigating-the-policykit-maze/

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PolicyKit#Authorities

and things are moving, so… ConsoleKit will no more be in use in the distributions. I suggest you try the file I provided, for me it works in any distro, Ubuntu (using Upstart) and in Archlinux (using systemd - and systemctl-logind instead of ConsoleKit).

Edit: and to add this file for a distribution provided for all, the line Identity=unix-group:something
is the way to go.

For exemple, if the distro has as an habbit to make the first user created belonging to the group "sudo", (as in Ubuntu) then you should use "sudo". If the distro has another habbit, for exemple the first user created (and or others) belong to the group "users", then instead of "sudo" you could use "users". If you want to make your version more restrictive, then you could write Identity=unix-group:wheel, and just tell the users that only if they make their login name belong to the wheel group, they can have the privilege, which will mean that they need to make use of the root password to add the user Bob, Alice or whoever to the wheel group,  therefore the shutdown, access to internal or external file systems, CD, whatever, will be entirely under their responsibility (even though you can make it easier for them to manage it).

« Modifié: 04 juin 2013 à 20:02:23 par mélodie »

djohnston

• Invité
« Réponse #11 le: 05 juin 2013 à 01:17:23 »
Melodie,

Well, I was responding to Patrick and his use of LXDE in Debian. Please remember that Ubuntu system rules may not apply to Debian. The configuration shown below is from the JWM Debian wheezy install I'm working on. I am able to logout, shutdown and reboot as a normal user.

Look in the directory: /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d : is there a file in it ?

No, there is no file.

[root@VSLV ~]# ls -la /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 20 12:14 .
drwx------ 7 root root 4096 May 17 15:35 ..
[root@VSLV ~]#

your user needs to be in the group "sudo", or "polkituser" or "wheel", if it belongs to one of these, then you can write it in the Identity=unix-group:something line.

My normal user does not belong to any of those groups.

[root@VSLV ~]# cat /etc/group | grep darrel
dialout:x:20:darrel
cdrom:x:24:darrel
floppy:x:25:darrel
audio:x:29:darrel
video:x:44:darrel
plugdev:x:46:darrel
vboxsf:x:103:darrel
netdev:x:109:darrel
darrel:x:1000:
[root@VSLV ~]#

I am able to shutdown and reboot as a normal user using consolekit commands. I shamelessly stole them from one of Taco.22's Openbox remasters. Here they are from the .jwmrc file:

<Program icon="lock.png" label="Reboot">dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Restart</Program>
<Program icon="lock.png" label="Shutdown">dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Stop</Program>

I do intend to take advantage of mimas's obsession package. Anything that makes things simpler is best, in my opinion. And consolekit is anything but simple.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #12 le: 05 juin 2013 à 01:58:15 »
I had taken the consolekit commands from a buddy doing an Archlinux version with Openbox, and provided it in the pclos openbox versions, where Taco got it from.

And obsession-logout has the ability to use either consolekit or two other processes, systemd... and the Ubuntu thing for the power management.

From the experience I had here: http://linuxvillage.net/index.php/topic,292.0.html

Then something will be needed so that obsession (the power management gui) still works correctly, that's to say provides all the features such as shutdown, reboot, suspend, hibernate, logout and cancel. A configuration file for polkit will have to be added into the system, otherwise, we will only get "Logout" and "Cancel", which might seem a bit short.

Here is a configuration file fit for our purpose, which we can name "55-myconfig.pkla", make it belong to root:root with 644 permissions and install to /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d

Here is a content to allow the first user to shutdown and reboot, even if there is another session started:

In case of need, you could just use one.

Could I see the entire content of your /etc/group file ? I wonder which process in Debian sets up the groups for the first user created at install time?

PS: >Please remember that Ubuntu system rules may not apply to Debian.

The .pkla files can be needed in all distributions using polkit. I have one which I did manually, in Archlinux. It is possible that Debian devs considers it also an addition to be done by the administrator of the machine.

Unless the problem met is related to the same issue as here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103881

« Modifié: 05 juin 2013 à 02:07:26 par mélodie »

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
« Réponse #13 le: 05 juin 2013 à 03:07:27 »
I am building a system based on VillageBox but using Spacefm to create a "desktop" environment.  I installed lxpanel which comes with the logout command that usually connects to lxsession or something like that which I don't have.  Rumaging around in my box of spare bits I found the debian version of obsession that mimas had posted somewhere - I can't find where so just in case I have it here for download.

It is a manual install, but is very simple.  Once installed everything worked perfectly.  I even created a launcher on the panel, created a bash script and .desktop file and now also have obsession launch direct from the panel.  I had previously tried obsession from source but couldn't resolve a dependency issue - however this is very simple, straight forward and effective, and no configuring to do.
What can go wrong !!!

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #14 le: 05 juin 2013 à 03:47:21 »
Hi,

The debian compiled tarball, is under here:
http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/debian/

obsession-debian-testing-compiled.tar.xz

You don't have much to do to change the menu logout in Lxpanel. I don't even have one with lxpanel under the hand to check. It's something as simple as a right-click on the panel go to preferences or panel settings, something of the kind and it's somewhere in the tabs (perhaps in advanced tab): you just change the logout command from there, replacing the command "lxsession-logout" with the command "obsession-logout".

See here? http://code.google.com/p/mimarchlinux/downloads/detail?name=obsession-20130101.tar.bz2

* xdg-autostart, start applications following Freedesktop Autostart specification.
* obsession-logout, display a dialog to power off, suspend, hibernate, logout or switch user.
* obsession-exit, the command line version of obsession-logout.

This is the first release. A lot of code was borrowed from LxDE.

The content of the above tarball should go directly into /usr/local, as usual, you should check the tree of the tarball.

Well, in fact if you just unpack it as root right under / you will get automatically everything at the right place with the right permissions!

# tar xfvJ obsession-debian-testing-compiled.tar.xz
brings out:
# ls -l usr/local/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 100  3 mars  15:34 bin
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root  80  3 mars  15:35 share
#

# ls -l usr/local/bin/
total 40
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 11296  3 mars  15:33 obsession-exit
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 20424  3 mars  15:33 obsession-logout
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  7728  3 mars  15:33 xdg-autostart
#

# ls -l usr/local/share/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 63 root root 1260  3 mars  15:33 locale
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root   60  3 mars  15:33 obsession
#

guess what is in usr/local/share/locale and in usr/local/share/obsession ? :)

« Modifié: 05 juin 2013 à 03:48:55 par mélodie »