Projects and resources (En) > Contributing to FOSS

grub-customizer for Debian

(1/3) > >>

djohnston:
I've created a .deb package for Wheezy. As far as I can tell, the only prerequisite is having GRUB2 installed. You can download the package here. Install it using either the graphical GDebi Package installer or using CLI dpkg. You'll need root privileges.

--- Code: ---dpkg -i grub-customizer_3.0.4-1_i386.deb
--- Fin du code ---

Here's a screenshot of part of the configuration interface:

And here's the result:

I've found only one potential problem, which is easily overcome. If you used remastersys's facility to set the default GRUB boot splash, the file /etc/default/grub will have the line:

GRUB_BACKGROUND="/etc/remastersys/grub.png"

grub-customizer will add its content at the end of the /etc/default/grub file, and will look similar to this:

export GRUB_COLOR_NORMAL="brown/black"
export GRUB_COLOR_HIGHLIGHT="black/light-green"
export GRUB_MENU_PICTURE="/usr/share/wallpapers/my_wallpaper.png"

As root, simply edit the file /etc/default/grub and comment remastersys's added line so the end of the file looks like this:

#GRUB_BACKGROUND="/etc/remastersys/grub.png"
export GRUB_COLOR_NORMAL="brown/black"
export GRUB_COLOR_HIGHLIGHT="black/light-green"
export GRUB_MENU_PICTURE="/usr/share/wallpapers/my_wallpaper.png"

Or, you can delete the line GRUB_BACKGROUND="/etc/remastersys/grub.png" completely. Then either rerun grub-customizer or open a terminal, and as user root:

--- Code: ---update-grub
--- Fin du code ---

melodie:
Hi,
Creating a package is quite a job, at least it seems to me. Wouldn't one of the packages done by the Launchpad build server have fit the purpose ?

https://launchpad.net/~danielrichter2007/+archive/grub-customizer/+packages

https://launchpad.net/~danielrichter2007/+archive/grub-customizer/+files/grub-customizer_3.0.4-0ubuntu1%7Eppa1r_amd64.deb

https://launchpad.net/~danielrichter2007/+archive/grub-customizer/+files/grub-customizer_3.0.4-0ubuntu1%7Eppa1r_i386.deb

I have tried "openbox-menu" built for Ubuntu in Debian and that worked well. It seems also when no depends are involved, that the two distros are still close enough to allow using one's package in the other.

djohnston:

--- Citation de: mélodie le 01 juillet 2013 à 14:55:33 ---Creating a package is quite a job, at least it seems to me. Wouldn't one of the packages done by the Launchpad build server have fit the purpose ?
--- Fin de citation ---

This one was surprisingly simple to create. And it's already done... The last time I tried a PPA, it called for Ubuntu packages which weren't and could not be installed. Why not let sleeping dogs lie?

patrick013:
@dj

Nice program overall, works well.

One thing about the fonts.    We need to find some different
fonts other than unifont.ttf for the menu.     Most or all fonts
I have won't draw the outside box right, or a way to remove
the box.

My unifont.ttf won't go bigger than about 10 either, thought I could
get it up to 15 or 16 and bold, but no go.    Actually got a decent size
font using webdings but it defaulted to text mode, but that's not
too bad.

regards,

Patrick

djohnston:

--- Citation de: patrick013 le 02 juillet 2013 à 04:15:41 ---@dj

Nice program overall, works well.
--- Fin de citation ---

Thanks.

--- Citation de: patrick013 le 02 juillet 2013 à 04:15:41 ---One thing about the fonts. We need to find some different fonts other than unifont.ttf for the menu. Most or all fonts I have won't draw the outside box right, or a way to remove the box.

My unifont.ttf won't go bigger than about 10 either, thought I could get it up to 15 or 16 and bold, but no go. Actually got a decent size font using webdings but it defaulted to text mode, but that's not too bad.

regards,

Patrick

--- Fin de citation ---

The fonts are one part I haven't looked at or even tried to change. I'll look into it and see what I can find out. I'll start by looking at Ubuntu's build and see what they have.

Navigation

[0] Index des messages

[#] Page suivante

Utiliser la version classique