Auteur Sujet: What's new in Linux 3.8  (Lu 2817 fois)

djohnston

• Invité
What's new in Linux 3.8
« le: 22 février 2013 à 21:57:26 »
Here's the part I find interesting:

Linux now supports F2FS (Flash-Friendly File System), a filesystem that was introduced by Samsung developers in October. It is designed for flash storage media that uses a more basic Flash Translation Layer (FTL) than SSDs for desktop PCs and servers – for example USB flash drives, memory cards and the storage media that is used in cameras, tablets and smartphones.

F2FS is a Log-structured File System (LFS) and progressively fills up storage media from the beginning; only once it has reached the end will it return to the beginning and use any areas that may have been deallocated in the meantime. Like Btrfs, F2FS uses Copy-on-Write (COW) to sequentially fill storage devices; this provides a certain robustness. Unlike Btrfs and Ext4, F2FS does not attempt to prevent data fragmentation; very short access times mean that fragmentation is not an issue with flash storage media. The userspace tools for formatting F2FS drives are available at kernel.org.

Read the rest here.

Hors ligne patrick013

• Membre Senior
Re : What's new in Linux 3.8
« Réponse #1 le: 22 février 2013 à 22:48:49 »
Here's the part I find interesting:

Read the rest here.

It's nice to know Linux is on top of all the new graphics drivers, Intel HD 4000
included.    Still I think my ext3 plus extent idea is longlasting.   All these new
filesystems and features are going to tax the fsarchiver program a bit. 

Thanks for the news post.

patrick