Auteur Sujet: Bento Remix Kernel Version  (Lu 5962 fois)

Hors ligne WilliamKC

• Néophyte
Bento Remix Kernel Version
« le: 22 janvier 2014 à 12:38:19 »
I am currently running Bento Remix in a VM. I've customized it to the point where I would like to go ahead and install it. The problem, my workstation has newer hardware that will not boot the 3.2 kernel, at minimum I need 3.8 - I see that there is a 3.8 build published back on November 15th, the software that it comes with aside, are there major differences under the hood?

Also - realizing this is an alpha - does Bento Remix sometimes suddenly close out all apllications and take you to the login screen?

EDIT: Never mind about the crashing issue. I didn't configure enough storage space in the VM.

William
« Modifié: 22 janvier 2014 à 19:59:14 par WilliamKC »

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : Bento Remix Kernel Version
« Réponse #1 le: 22 janvier 2014 à 22:31:50 »
Hi,

Don't worry about the alpha naming. This is a randomly named, just to say it's the first for the ToriOS project. There aren't any issues else than the fact I have removed all the biggest packages and their depends, leaving probably lots of packages which are uneeded but not seen as such by the package manager. :>

I started working on a new build for a small/clean version, with the full old build not far so I can pick some of the files I need from there.

You can get the version with the 3.8 kernel, the few bugs still in there are ones which benefited later of 2 minor cosmetic fixes and don't cause problems.

Once your artwork will be ready, I would like you to make it available in a tarball inside a small filesystem, if possible, and all belonging to "root:root" before compressing it to archive (directories must have permissions 755 and files 644).

If you already knew that, you probably don't need to read what comes below.

I give an example to you:
http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/BentoVillageProject/Configurations/System/etc/sysctl.d/50-local.conf

in the tarball, that file is under "etc/sysctl.d/" at the root of the archive.

The following one, which could have for tarball name something such as "bento-zram-config.tar.gz" would contain:
http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/BentoVillageProject/Configurations/System/Zram/
the directories which you can see there, with the subdirectories as you will find them if you click on each one one after the other.

The result of that, it looks almost like a package and it can be unpacked as root directly in the / of the Filesystem built directory when creating a new version. I can also be used as is by a script.

(I hope it's not too confused?)

You can see some tarballs arranged that way here : http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/BentoVillageProject/Configurations/OldConfig/ and get one and unpack it in a directory to see what it looks like, if needed.

Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

Hors ligne WilliamKC

• Néophyte
« Réponse #2 le: 22 janvier 2014 à 22:47:39 »
"(I hope it's not too confused?)"

Not at all to this long time nerd : ) and yes, it is super stable. Also, that is good to know about the 3.8 version.

I had a little time to get started on the artwork today and should have it... or at least the majority of it ready tomorrow.

Thank you for teaching me how all this fits together. I am hoping sometime after the first ToriOS release is out I will be advanced enough to make my own 64 bit iso for personal use.

BTW - talked to Ali? Email me on that if yes.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : Re : Bento Remix Kernel Version
« Réponse #3 le: 23 janvier 2014 à 00:28:31 »
"(I hope it's not too confused?)"

Not at all to this long time nerd : ) and yes, it is super stable. Also, that is good to know about the 3.8 version.

Very good.

I had a little time to get started on the artwork today and should have it... or at least the majority of it ready tomorrow.

Nice!
Have you been looking at what Israel posted ? He submitted some logo.

Thank you for teaching me how all this fits together. I am hoping sometime after the first ToriOS release is out I will be advanced enough to make my own 64 bit iso for personal use.

Personally I haven't had time to make a 64bits so far, and the machine from where I post each day is a 64bits which could perfectly fit for this use, but I can be only on one machine at a time even if the one just besides is used for building. Well, I would offer to get you started on that right away if you want to?

All you need is a Bento installed so you have a 12.04 working, update after install it if needed, and install Ubuntu Builder (there is a ppa). Then you can get the 64bits version of Ubuntu Mini Remix to work on.

Let me know if you are interested.

BTW - talked to Ali? Email me on that if yes.

No news so far. I was just thinking for myself today among else, that if it's a "one man show project", and not a community project, I am not interested.

Hors ligne WilliamKC

• Néophyte
« Réponse #4 le: 23 janvier 2014 à 03:46:35 »
"Let me know if you are interested."

Interested!

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #5 le: 23 janvier 2014 à 19:48:55 »
Hi,

What about starting a new thread in the "Create Masters" section? I'll do it.

PS: Create a custom Ubuntu with two main tools - who wants to learn?