Auteur Sujet: Ubuntu Openbox Remix RC2_*  (Lu 15991 fois)

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Ubuntu Openbox Remix RC2_*
« le: 22 février 2013 à 22:00:41 »
Hi,

Please refer to the RC1_2 thread for former information. The RC2_* is here:
http://tyruiop.eu/~melodie/Downloads/ISOS/Ubuntu/obubuntu-12.04-i386-RC2.iso
http://tyruiop.eu/~melodie/Downloads/ISOS/Ubuntu/obubuntu-12.04-i386-RC2.md5sum

The live ends on the desktop. If you need to logout, use "ubuntu" for login name and no password in the password field (just click in it and hit the enter key). The package manager has it's software-properties-gtk which works, and it is not started at the beginning of the session (I have renamed a desktop file in /etc/xdg/autostart to make it keep quiet). zram is at work in the live and should be also in the install. The installer has a gtk3 theme from Xfce : Greybird.

This version was done with Ubuntu Builder.

/Edit : now RC2_2 (February 24th)
http://tyruiop.eu/~melodie/Downloads/ISOS/Ubuntu/obubuntu-12.04-i386-RC2_2.iso
http://tyruiop.eu/~melodie/Downloads/ISOS/Ubuntu/obubuntu-12.04-i386-RC2_2.md5sum

I think it will now be time to start working on making it shrink a bit...

« Modifié: 24 février 2013 à 19:21:56 par mélodie »
Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
Re : Ubuntu Openbox Remix RC2
« Réponse #1 le: 23 février 2013 à 00:51:04 »
Interesting that you should mention the GTK3 theme Greybird.  I have just started playing around with GTK3 due to Nautilus!

BTW - downloading now.
« Modifié: 23 février 2013 à 02:05:41 par Taco.22 »
What can go wrong !!!

Hors ligne patrick013

• Membre Senior
Re : Re : Ubuntu Openbox Remix RC2
« Réponse #2 le: 23 février 2013 à 05:20:25 »
Interesting that you should mention the GTK3 theme Greybird.  I have just started playing around with GTK3 due to Nautilus!

Greybird is nice cause it's easy to modify.  WOW-2 is nice.
GnomishDark and GnomishGray too.   The rest are all like
Raleigh.

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
« Réponse #3 le: 23 février 2013 à 07:12:18 »
How do I get Obubuntu to boot from a USB stick?  I tried "dd" which just went through to installed grub, and then I tried Unetbootin but after Plymouth runs for a few seconds it dumps into a Busybox built-in shell.
What can go wrong !!!

konaexpress

• Invité
« Réponse #4 le: 23 février 2013 à 07:48:50 »
If she used a Gambas app to make this then in most likeliness the runtime is installed. There is an app that is like unetbutin that can install the image to USB, I will have to go find it if you want.

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
« Réponse #5 le: 23 février 2013 à 07:54:06 »
That would be appreciated.  It will boot OK from a cd, won't it?
What can go wrong !!!

konaexpress

• Invité
« Réponse #6 le: 23 février 2013 à 08:42:19 »
I have not used it yet but I think yes.  The programmer gave us permission to include it in an iso so that users could put it on a USB stick if they did not want to install it to the hard drive. I think this is a cool option but I have not decided to include it or not.

I wi go find the link for it and see about it.

djohnston

• Invité
« Réponse #7 le: 23 février 2013 à 10:48:38 »
melodie,

(1) The VirtualBox guest additions are a nice touch. However, they are not really integrated with the host until you install the virtualbox-guest-dkms package on the guest. I don't know if the remastering tool you used configured it that way or not.

(2) The ~/.config/openbox directory needs a little configuring. The README file states on lines 3 & 4:

You may use the menu.xml, rc.xml and autostart.sh files from /usr/share/openbox-menu as well as the scripts/xcompmgr.sh file from /usr/share/openbox-menu
/usr/share/openbox-menu directory doesn't exist.

darrel@OBubuntu:~$ ls /usr/share/openbox-menu
ls: cannot access /usr/share/openbox-menu: No such file or directory
darrel@OBubuntu:~$

menu.xml, rc.xml and autostart.sh files are actually soft linked to corresponding files in ~/.config/openbox/lang.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 darrel darrel   17 Feb 23 01:37 autostart -> lang/autostart-en
lrwxrwxrwx 1 darrel darrel   16 Feb 23 01:37 menu.xml -> lang/menu.xml-en
lrwxrwxrwx 1 darrel darrel   14 Feb 23 01:37 rc.xml -> lang/rc.xml-en

Lines 16 & 17 of the README file say:

The rc.xml brings in some personalised keyboard shortcuts for you PCLinuxOS distribution, and you can add more shortcuts or tweak them later.
There is another reference in the file to PCLinuxOS on further down.

~/.config/openbox/lang/autostart has an entry in line 31:

~/.config/openbox/scripts/xsnow.sh restore
I couldn't figure out why it wasn't starting until I discovered that PCManFM is handling the desktop duties.

(3) I changed tint2 panel to be taller. The date in the clock display was almost unreadable. Also changed the font size for the date.

(4) There is no Openbox restart menu item.

(5) What do you intend to do with the Ibus menu entry? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's most often used for Asian languages input. (Japanese, Korean, etc.)

Overall, the system is very responsive @ 512MB of RAM and 64 MB video memory. I like the choices of Firefox and file-roller. I also configured Firefox's home page to be http://linuxvillage.net.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #8 le: 23 février 2013 à 11:00:09 »
Hi,
The Greybird GTK3 theme comes from the package shimmer-themes. I look about the USB stick now and will come back to say about it.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #9 le: 23 février 2013 à 12:04:55 »
melodie,

(1) The VirtualBox guest additions are a nice touch. However, they are not really integrated with the host until you install the virtualbox-guest-dkms package on the guest. I don't know if the remastering tool you used configured it that way or not.

Darrel,
I seem to remember that the result in Virtualbox was worse with it than without it. The resolution is at least 1024x768, in two of my host machines, in Virtualbox, and after install I install the guest additions from the Virtualbox window menus.

I can retry installing virtualbox-guest-dkms to check if I don't confuse with a similar package, though, or check my notes.

(2) The ~/.config/openbox directory needs a little configuring. The README file states on lines 3 & 4:
/usr/share/openbox-menu directory doesn't exist.

darrel@OBubuntu:~$ ls /usr/share/openbox-menu
ls: cannot access /usr/share/openbox-menu: No such file or directory
darrel@OBubuntu:~$

Ok, I'll review it.

menu.xml, rc.xml and autostart.sh files are actually soft linked to corresponding files in ~/.config/openbox/lang.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 darrel darrel   17 Feb 23 01:37 autostart -> lang/autostart-en
lrwxrwxrwx 1 darrel darrel   16 Feb 23 01:37 menu.xml -> lang/menu.xml-en
lrwxrwxrwx 1 darrel darrel   14 Feb 23 01:37 rc.xml -> lang/rc.xml-en

This is on purpose. Later I will request a script from someone who can write some bash, to be able to switch language directly from the main openbox menu.

Lines 16 & 17 of the README file say:
There is another reference in the file to PCLinuxOS on further down.

Ok, I'll check it all.

~/.config/openbox/lang/autostart has an entry in line 31:

~/.config/openbox/scripts/xsnow.sh restore
I couldn't figure out why it wasn't starting until I discovered that PCManFM is handling the desktop duties.

It is meant to be used from the main menu. How did you use it ?

(3) I changed tint2 panel to be taller. The date in the clock display was almost unreadable. Also changed the font size for the date.

This will depend upon the size of the screen and resolution. Here it show well enough without taking too much on the screen : 1400x1050 in a 15" wide screen, and another is a 15" wide with 1024x768, there is also a notebook which uses the same tint2rc : 1024x600. What is a pity is that the tint2rc graphical configurator is unusable.

(4) There is no Openbox restart menu item.

Yes, there is one. I'll add screenshots at the end of this post.

(5) What do you intend to do with the Ibus menu entry? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's most often used for Asian languages input. (Japanese, Korean, etc.)

I can modify it's desktop file to not show in openbox;kde;gnome;lxde;xfce and add it to the .local/share/applications in /etc/skel ? I have said about it at the bugsquad chan and a dev has fixed it: but for the next ubuntu version. And yes, it is needed for some internal processes that make the Live and perhaps the rest too, work correctly.

Overall, the system is very responsive @ 512MB of RAM and 64 MB video memory. I like the choices of Firefox and file-roller. I also configured Firefox's home page to be http://linuxvillage.net.

Ok, however I intend to switch to http://linuxvillage.net at some time in the year, so we will have to check again if there are some threads we want to take from there to bring them back here : our's, and even if they are not our's, now, because we might not want to wait forever.

Of course when this will be time, I'll manage to have linuxvillage.net do a permanent redirect to the linuxvillage.net url.

Reconfigure Openbox:

Menu to start Xsnow:

Xsnow started:

:)

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #10 le: 23 février 2013 à 14:45:17 »
Hi again:

Does the menu "Quit" reflect that it will trigger this window to show ?

or should I use "Exit" instead ? Or "Logout" ? Which one would be best ?

konaexpress

• Invité
« Réponse #11 le: 23 février 2013 à 15:37:32 »
Hi again:

Does the menu "Quit" reflect that it will trigger this window to show ?

or should I use "Exit" instead ? Or "Logout" ? Which one would be best ?
Quit works for me but logout sticks with most other distros I think.

djohnston

• Invité
Re : Re : Re : Ubuntu Openbox Remix RC2
« Réponse #12 le: 23 février 2013 à 22:03:15 »
This is on purpose. Later I will request a script from someone who can write some bash, to be able to switch language directly from the main openbox menu.
The way you're doing it is fine. I was just pointing out that the README file doesn't reflect the actual setup.

It is meant to be used from the main menu. How did you use it ?
Yes, I tried xsnow from the main menu and it's working. I was pointing out that ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh has a line to start xsnow on login. But it doesn't. Because PCManFM is handling the desktop.

Yes, there is one. I'll add screenshots at the end of this post.
That's "reconfigure". "restart" is what's missing.

<menu id="openbox-menu" label="OpenBox">
<item label="Reconfigure">
    <action name="Reconfigure" />
  </item>
<item label="Restart Openbox">
<action name="Restart" />
        </item>

EDIT: Yes, quit from the main menu works. And the logout options screen is a very nice touch.
« Modifié: 23 février 2013 à 22:05:08 par djohnston »

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #13 le: 23 février 2013 à 22:23:38 »
Hi,
I changed for "Exit". The version RC2_2 will be available soon.

added acl, usb-creator-gtk, midori with preconfiguration for it, fixed the details djohnston pointed to, added a script in the menus to reconfigure the keyboard, removed the ibus.desktop file, (ibus stands for "intelligent bus").

I tested putting it into a usb stick by hand, just mount the iso to loop copy all the files and don't forget the hidden directory .disk and files, this to a Fat32 formatted stick. Then I can provide with instructions to install grub legacy and a menu.lst.

Or I could do a tarball with the content of my usb stick and put it to the web, you could then have a look... I'll see what's faster.

Once the first usb stick was setup, I booted to it and from there did a second one, with the usb-creator-gtk program installed in it. I mounted the hard drive partition where the iso is, and inserted my second usb stick. I installed to this second usb stick pointing to the iso for one field and pointing to the second usb stick in the second field of the program, then configured 1 GB for a persistent mode.

Then I tested the second USB stick : the changes do stick ! :D

so this is a way to get a usb stick with persistent mode, without never having to burn a CD !

In the USB stick it is the plymouth theme which appears at boot in the live, whereas in the boot into Virtualbox and also probably in a live cdrom it must be the isolinux image. Then the image is the default purple Ubuntu at boot, and at shutdown as well, until the distro is installed.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #14 le: 24 février 2013 à 09:34:21 »
Hi,

RC2_2 is out with the changes sayd just above. I didn't add virtualbox-guest-dkms for this one. I didn't forget but report it for a next try.

You will also find two new posts in the tips and tricks, related to installing to a USB sticks.