Auteur Sujet: VillageBox Support Page  (Lu 30190 fois)

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
Re : VillageBox Support Page
« Réponse #15 le: 08 avril 2013 à 04:13:35 »
OK, I'll install that lot and see what the bill comes to.  Thanks.

EDIT - well I went to install and it turns out that all of the above are already present in VillageBox.  Now this may not be the case with the current Scorpio which is based on an earlier build.  However I have prepped a revised and updated version of Scorpio based on VillageBox, so the hardware support will be identical for the two.  Both will be uploaded later in the week - looks like it's just a bit of fine-tuning to do.
« Modifié: 08 avril 2013 à 07:35:57 par Taco.22 »
What can go wrong !!!

Hors ligne Slystone

• Néophyte
    • Slystone's blog
Re : Re : Re : Re : VillageBox Support Page
« Réponse #16 le: 08 avril 2013 à 13:30:13 »
By the way, I have put pytyle, a window tiling application, back in.  It works from a keybinding on the fly - if you never use it you would never know it was there!  I am gearing up to installing VillageBox onto my wife's computer and she uses pytyle every now and then when she has two instances of Thunar open to drag and drop files - gives Thunar a twin pane mode when you need it.

Hum, you know you can have a twin pane in Openbox without Pytyle, right? You press Super+Alt+left/right arrow, and job done! (or super+left/right arrow for different sizes)
« Rigid, the skeleton of habit alone upholds the human frame. » - Virginia Woolf.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : VillageBox Support Page
« Réponse #17 le: 08 avril 2013 à 14:12:39 »
Hum, you know you can have a twin pane in Openbox without Pytyle, right? You press Super+Alt+left/right arrow, and job done! (or super+left/right arrow for different sizes)

This is depending of the content of your rc.xml file. :)

You might want to seek for the part which does this in your install and paste it here ?  (in code tags)

Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

Hors ligne Slystone

• Néophyte
    • Slystone's blog
« Réponse #18 le: 08 avril 2013 à 14:20:28 »
Ok, I'll need some time then. I just remember that in the different Openbox that I've tested, it was a possibility.
« Rigid, the skeleton of habit alone upholds the human frame. » - Virginia Woolf.

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
« Réponse #19 le: 08 avril 2013 à 14:51:39 »
The rc.xml file can be set up just about any way you want.  I remember trying a while back some code for rc.xml that enabled pseudo-tiling in OB.  However it was entirely manual, the keybinding was awkward and the code had to be configured to the screen size.  No good for a general distribution.  Pytyle allows tiling on the fly, or as a global setting.  You can set two instances of Thunar as "twin pane", especially if one is user and one is root - really good for loading up /etc/skel when remastering!  Or you could have a file manager and text editor side by side, opening and editing files as you go.  Pytyle is nothing more than a simple python script with no deps other than python-xlib.  I use the 0.7.2 version of Pytyle - it's old but it works!     
What can go wrong !!!

Hors ligne Slystone

• Néophyte
    • Slystone's blog
« Réponse #20 le: 08 avril 2013 à 15:07:24 »
Well, I admit I don't know how it works. But in Crunchbang it works with default settings. These guys seem to have actually done it (see discussion): http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=15002
I hope it helps (I'm too noob to be helpful).

Edit : there is also a github for hot corners: https://github.com/corenominal/cb-wmhacks
« Modifié: 08 avril 2013 à 15:13:21 par Slystone »

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
« Réponse #21 le: 08 avril 2013 à 15:43:41 »
Hi Slystone,

I had a look at the Crunchbang link - interesting.  I wouldn't apologise about being "too noob to be helpful" though, as half the code went straight over the top of my head  :D

By the way, if you want to try Pytyle I have uploaded pytyle-0.7.2.tar.gz so you can download and install it.  Just make sure you have python-xlib installed, follow the install instructions, logout/in and use "Alt - a" to tile and "Alt - u" to untile.  If you run Openbox (I think you run Crunchbang?) you need to add  "pytyle &" to ~/.config/openbox/autostart.  Enjoy!
What can go wrong !!!

Hors ligne mimas

• Général du Roi
  • Membre Complet
  • Jamais content
    • G+
Re : Re : VillageBox Support Page
« Réponse #22 le: 08 avril 2013 à 15:47:54 »
I remember trying a while back some code for rc.xml that enabled pseudo-tiling in OB.  However it was entirely manual, the keybinding was awkward and the code had to be configured to the screen size.
It was for a french keyboard. :) And it was a dumb tiling. I'm still using it, though.
When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives.

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
« Réponse #23 le: 08 avril 2013 à 16:52:20 »
Hi mimas,

I was trying to remember if the code came from you.  I now recall setting it up for English keyboard - bit confusing when it was for French  ;D
Glad to hear it's still in operation.
« Modifié: 04 mai 2013 à 13:17:52 par Taco.22 »
What can go wrong !!!

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
« Réponse #24 le: 05 mai 2013 à 09:01:59 »
I've trying to do a remaster to post but I'm hitting a couple of issues.  The first is that the live iso on USB fails to execute the reboot and shutdown commands from the menu.  That goes hand-in-hand with not being able to open partitions in Thunar - not authorized.  The other is that xterm presents with a white background - opposite to what is in the .Xresources file.  I have made two attempts, replaced files in /etc/skel but no luck.  All works fine on the master but the remaster is not working out.

Any ideas? 
What can go wrong !!!

djohnston

• Invité
« Réponse #25 le: 05 mai 2013 à 15:29:34 »
I just installed Village from the Village_RC-2_TEST_xz.iso and updated it. Is that the right one to start from?

Which version of Thunar are you using? 1.2.3 or 1.6.2? (1.2.3 still has a startup delay if AutoMount=true is specified in /usr/share/gvfs/mounts/network.mount).

Have you changed any sources lists yet? I had to change these:

## Updates
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing-proposed-updates main contrib non-free 
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing-proposed-updates main contrib non-free 

The testing-updates directory is no longer there for the US server. I don't know if the testing-proposed-updates directory is a valid directory to update from, but I did it anyway.

EDIT: What method are you using to put the iso on the USB drive?
« Modifié: 05 mai 2013 à 15:36:12 par djohnston »

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
« Réponse #26 le: 05 mai 2013 à 16:05:02 »
Just about to hit the sack but that sounds like the current version.  I have updated and changed a couple of things.  Juffed is now the default editor and a couple of other bits were added.  Nothing outside of the repos though.

Currently still at Thunar 1.2.3 - works fine both on the master system and my own setup.

Sources list I need to look at - not sure if testing-proposed or not.

Just using the usual "dd if=name_of_iso of=/dev/thingy"

All has been fine until now - not sure what has changed.  Could be that VillageBox is based on testing - I have read that SID is a bad place to remastersys from.  Have added a couple of things - mostly http://linuxvillage.net/index.php/topic,102.msg1870.html#msg1870.  Turns out all the wireless stuff was installed!

What can go wrong !!!

djohnston

• Invité
Re : Re : VillageBox Support Page
« Réponse #27 le: 05 mai 2013 à 18:14:00 »
Could be that VillageBox is based on testing - I have read that SID is a bad place to remastersys from.
That could be, but Sid is the unstable branch, not testing. I don't know what the new testing name will be, now that Wheezy is the stable branch. But, Sid will always be the name of the unstable branch.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #28 le: 05 mai 2013 à 18:39:00 »
Yes, SID stands for Still In Development. There is just one thing I don't know about in the versions, you can see in the packages debian page versions drop down menu:
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

there is also a branch having for name "experimental".
Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

djohnston

• Invité
« Réponse #29 le: 06 mai 2013 à 01:56:34 »
Taco.22,

I'm getting the same result. I haven't looked into what's going on yet.

1 The testing repos are too volatile right now. The packages and available updates are changing every hour. I ran into a situation where it wanted to remove the package less. I went with it. After removing it, refreshing the package lists, I tried to reinstall less. apt wanted to remove man-db. I could have one or the other, but not both.

I reinstalled from the iso again and changed all testing sources to wheezy, then did a full upgrade.

2 I commented out the graphics mode line in /etc/default/grub and reran update-grub. My replacement video card can't handle 1280x1024, although the monitor can.

3 I can't get a wireless connection using wicd. I tried everything from rescanning for network, entering the SSID for the home network, changing configuration prefs, etc. I'm going to have to install network-manager-gnome to get a wireless connection. But, that has nothing to do with the immediate problems with Thunar and xterm.

4 I burned the iso to a USB drive the same way. dd if=Village_RC-2_TEST_xz_Wheezy.iso of=/dev/sdd That works fine. I have to boot from the PLOP floppy because the PIII BIOS doesn't allow for booting from a USB device.

5 I was able to mount the hard drive and write files to my home partition. I can't mount the hard drive from Thunar. Permission error. I opened a terminal.

sudo su
mkdir /mnt/disk
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/disk

I was then able to browse all the files from Thunar. Something's screwy with permissions.

6 For example, from the Preferences menu, Internationalization & Localization will start and gksu will prompt for the root password. (I don't know what the password is, though.) GParted (gparted-pkexec) and Synaptic (synaptic-pkexec) won't start at all.

7 I was able to shutdown the live session, but had to do it as root. The error I got trying to do it as live user was:

live@live:~$ dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Stop
Error org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.NotPrivileged: Not Authorized
live@live:~$

I don't know if that's any help or not. Opened a terminal, did sudo su, then ran the dbus command again. The system shut down cleanly.

8 In /etc/skel, I only updated the files that had changed. Before I remaster again, I'm going to wipe all the /etc/skel files and repopulate from scratch. Don't know if it will do any good or not.

9 Have you changed any remastersys files? I haven't looked, but don't even know if I would recognize one that has changed.

EDIT: I only had time to look up this ConsoleKit error message. Haven't looked through the responses yet. Gotta cook supper.

« Modifié: 06 mai 2013 à 02:00:54 par djohnston »