Auteur Sujet: VillageBox Support Page  (Lu 30191 fois)

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
VillageBox Support Page
« le: 06 février 2013 à 23:46:36 »
VillageBox now has its own information and download page on the main site at LinuxVillage.org.  This will be kept up to date as regarding improvements and updates.

This thread is specifically for questions, queries and problems relating to VillageBox.  More general discussions can still take place in other threads such as Village_RC2 : Openbox community spin.
« Modifié: 07 février 2013 à 01:52:26 par Taco.22 »
What can go wrong !!!

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : VillageBox Support Page
« Réponse #1 le: 07 février 2013 à 02:52:40 »
Hello,

VillageBox is a good name. I would just wish you add "Debian" behind.*

Sure : when a Ubuntu Openbox, a antiX Openbox, and many more to come will be ready to be tested again, what will be left for us, non Debian users ? ;)

Hu hu! turzin must have striken, the LinuxVillage skin is away... I'll be back!

Good job Taco!

* or  something like "Debian Remix"
« Modifié: 07 février 2013 à 03:42:37 par mélodie »
Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

konaexpress

• Invité
« Réponse #2 le: 07 février 2013 à 07:43:03 »
Good job dude!

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
« Réponse #3 le: 07 février 2013 à 11:38:41 »
Thanks all, but don't forget, it takes a village ... aaghh, better not go there!!
What can go wrong !!!

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
« Réponse #4 le: 09 février 2013 à 06:19:07 »
Changelog Update

I thought I should add the Changelog to this thread.  Same download location and no version change.  Changes are as follows -
  • Fixed the network mount glitch that can cause Thunar to pause on start.  Thunar and gigolo still work together fine. Just click the network share and it will mount and stay mounted for the session.
  • Installed numlockx to allow numlock to turn on at boot.  Default is OFF due to some laptop incompatabilities.  Edit autostart to switch on.
  • Edited Remastersys to allow a "Boot to RAM" option in the live cd/usb device.
  • Removed Azenis icon theme and installed MeliaeSVG.  Retained Tango as root icon theme, plus it fills the gaps that MelaieSVG leaves.
  • Did a couple of cosmetic changes to Tint2.
  • GParted now recognises the following file systems - btrfs; ext2, 3, 4; fat16, 32; hfs, hfs+; jfs; linux-swap; nilfs2; ntfs; reiser4; reiserfs; xfs.
What can go wrong !!!

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #5 le: 09 février 2013 à 11:14:00 »
Hello,

very good, but why don't you give it a new number ? Maybe something such as "RC2-b" or "RC2-2" if you don't want to make it look like a major version ? And what is the date of the change this time ? Should I mirror a new version or are the mirrors up to date ?

Thanks for all your work anyway !

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
« Réponse #6 le: 09 février 2013 à 11:26:09 »
No panic - I've not changed anything.  I just posted the Changelog from the Village_RC2 thread so I can keep track of it.  Still trying to work out where to put it - maybe it should go on the VillageBox page, maybe down the bottom?

EDIT - I have added the Changelog to the bottom of the VillageBox page - seems to be the logical place.  Anywhere on the forum it will just keep moving around!
« Modifié: 09 février 2013 à 13:32:13 par Taco.22 »
What can go wrong !!!

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #7 le: 09 février 2013 à 18:13:58 »
Very right!
And one more little thing, I have noticed you didn't list openbox-menu in the list of installed programs. Is it a miss ?

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
Re : Re : VillageBox Support Page
« Réponse #8 le: 10 février 2013 à 00:35:25 »
I have noticed you didn't list openbox-menu in the list of installed programs. Is it a miss ?

Fixed.
« Modifié: 10 février 2013 à 00:37:07 par Taco.22 »
What can go wrong !!!

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #9 le: 10 février 2013 à 00:51:58 »
Thank you sir!  :)

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
« Réponse #10 le: 07 avril 2013 à 11:03:02 »
I am currently in the process of updating and fine-tuning VillageBox.  I have replaced Geany with Juffed as editor.  Juffed is highly configurable and lots faster.  I have also removed Sakura as VillageBox already has Xterm as default terminal for Remastersys.  No need having multiple terminals and I have configured Xterm to look a bit flashier!  I have also installed "gnome-system-tools" without all the extra 90+mb of crud which gives GUI apps for Networking, Services, Time and Date, and Users and Groups.

Interestingly although Thunar is still at Version 1.2.3 it launches straight up from cold and also mounts the network share.  Something must have been fixed/improved somewhere.

I want to know if additional firmware for wireless broadband is needed.  I have looked at what apt had to offer and it included things like -
      wireless-tools - Tools for manipulating Linux Wireless Extensions
      broadcom-sta-common - Common files for the Broadcom STA Wireless driver
      broadcom-sta-dkms - dkms source for the Broadcom STA Wireless driver
      broadcom-sta-source - Source for the Broadcom STA Wireless driver
      firmware-atheros - Binary firmware for Atheros wireless cards
      firmware-brcm80211 - Binary firmware for Broadcom 802.11 wireless cards
      firmware-ipw2x00 - Binary firmware for Intel Pro Wireless 2100, 2200 and 2915
      firmware-iwlwifi - Binary firmware for Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 and 802.11n cards
      firmware-libertas - Binary firmware for Marvell Libertas 8xxx wireless cards
      firmware-ralink - Binary firmware for Ralink wireless cards
      firmware-realtek - Binary firmware for Realtek wired and wireless network adapters
      b43-fwcutter - Utility for extracting Broadcom 43xx firmware
      firmware-b43-installer - Installer package for firmware for the b43 driver
      firmware-b43-lpphy-installer - Installer package for firmware for the b43 driver (LP-PHY version)
      firmware-b43legacy-installer - Installer package for firmware for the b43legacy driver

There were a few other bits and pieces but I am not familiar with wireless as I am connected to ADSL broadband and also don't run a laptop.  If there is anything on that list or anything else you can think of that you would consider required software let me know.

Hopefully the updated version of VillageBox will be up by the end of the week.

Screenshots - click on pic for full size.

Terminal xterm

Juffed editor

Gnome-system-tools with Time and Date, Networking, Service Settings, User Settings with Create New User
« Modifié: 07 avril 2013 à 12:13:34 par Taco.22 »
What can go wrong !!!

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #11 le: 07 avril 2013 à 12:26:30 »
Hi,

Please don't forget to let me know what needs to be removed and added here.

Hors ligne pdurbin

• Néophyte
    • http://greptilian.com
Re : Re : VillageBox Support Page
« Réponse #12 le: 07 avril 2013 à 13:20:42 »
Thanks all, but don't forget, it takes a village ... aaghh, better not go there!!

I knew someone would say it eventually. :)

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
Re : Re : Re : VillageBox Support Page
« Réponse #13 le: 07 avril 2013 à 14:28:32 »
I knew someone would say it eventually. :)
Hey, don't blame me!!  I hold djohnston wholly responsible for this embarassment  ;D

@melodie,
No problems - any requests regarding wireless software/firmware?

By the way, I have put pytyle, a window tiling application, back in.  It works from a keybinding on the fly - if you never use it you would never know it was there!  I am gearing up to installing VillageBox onto my wife's computer and she uses pytyle every now and then when she has two instances of Thunar open to drag and drop files - gives Thunar a twin pane mode when you need it.
What can go wrong !!!

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #14 le: 07 avril 2013 à 18:48:06 »
As far as I know some broadcom components are needed by Rob, (ka9yhd) and I would install all from your list except the source package, unless it is not too big. I also like when people providing feedback are able to report "everything works out of the box! great! all the other distros tried so far never make all my hardware work!".   :D