Questions En > Help requests

Error message on remaster install

<< < (2/3) > >>

melodie:
Taco, have you updated your package base?

--- Code: ---$ apt-cache show isolinux
Package: isolinux
Priority: optional
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 121
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
Original-Maintainer: Debian QA Group <packages@qa.debian.org>
Architecture: all
Source: syslinux
Version: 3:6.03+dfsg-11ubuntu1
Recommends: syslinux-common
Suggests: xorriso
Filename: pool/main/s/syslinux/isolinux_6.03+dfsg-11ubuntu1_all.deb
Size: 44606
MD5sum: 88cc37995f8bfbd74ce87d40f146b098
SHA1: e0d366a579eeb9f330a3da6c4a4d67203008c140
SHA256: aa476094a4d7dff1fa4c0db9749841f3595f567cc721202bd91f1c3500fb3c08
Description-en: collection of bootloaders (ISO 9960 bootloader)
 syslinux is a suite of bootloaders, currently supporting DOS FAT and NTFS
 filesystems (SYSLINUX), Linux ext2/ext3/ext4, btrfs, and xfs filesystems
 (EXTLINUX), PXE network boots (PXELINUX), or ISO 9660 CD-ROMs (ISOLINUX).
 This package contains the bootloader for ISO 9960 CD-ROMs (ISOLINUX).
Description-md5: 022dfbc5d7dbeb65e18812d57c55dc61
Homepage: http://www.syslinux.org/
Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
Origin: Ubuntu
Supported: 5y
$

--- Fin du code ---

for the rest as I told you I use only the console mode (which is really handy). If I remember xorriso is for the gui methods?

Remember also you first need to edit /etc/customizer.conf

melodie:
Also get the latest code available, not the one from the old github which is mentioned in the "First guide".

https://github.com/kamilion/customizer follow the green button..

Taco.22:
Hi Mélodie,

Well that got a little complicated as obviously I didn't have the approriate repo activated!  "Apt-cache show isolinux" had nothing to show.  In the end I used "pool/main/s/syslinux/isolinux_6.03+dfsg-11ubuntu1_all.deb" as a search term and edited my sources.list appropriately.  I did have the latest Customizer and now all works well. 

I must say that this is so easy it's silly!  It's way less work than configuring a system on a separate or virtual hard drive, and having to remaster an ISO and boot from it before you realise there is a mistake.  This way you can see the result and make corrections, additions or edits on the run.  I can also search the net, use/edit my config files, or edit image files at the same time.  Why haven't I been using this ages ago?!?

Thanks very much for the heads-up on this - much appreciated  :D   

melodie:

--- Citation de: Taco.22 le 17 janvier 2018 à 07:29:02 ---Why haven't I been using this ages ago?!?
--- Fin de citation ---
[/quote]

because you haven't met with Kamilion, who is a fantastic person. He lives in US west coast, and used Customizer long before he started to take care of the code (which has a history of several maintainers since the original author).

He is the one who has advised me to use it after Ubuntu Builder was obsoleted. You can meet him on the IRC chan #lxde on irc.freenode.net, for instance.

--- Citer ---Thanks very much for the heads-up on this - much appreciated  :D

--- Fin de citation ---

you are most welcome!

Taco.22:
Hi Mélodie,

Well there had to be a catch somewhere!  Using Customizer to remix the ISO is the easy bit.  Getting the finished ISO onto a USB stick has been an exercise in frustration.  I had used VBox, Pinguy Builder and Customizer on Lou's computer, and I think things were getting a bit confused.  I also kept getting corrupted or borked file systems on USB sticks when trying to install on to them.  I was constantly reformating to fat32 as they failed to boot, or the installer failed to work.  Sometimes there was a "Boot Failure" error right at the start, other times failure struck during installation, and never at quite the same point   To install onto a stick I used Startup Disk Creator, Unetbootin and dd - all were hit and miss.  That error message that I mentioned in the first post even popped up when I was installing Bento 64bit onto my computer, but with an option to skip - hadn't seen that before!

Anyway, long story short, after making many attempts to build and burn a workable ISO on my wife's computer I have done a clean install of Bento 64bit onto my computer (it had the 32bit version previously), modified the system to my specs and then did a clean install of Customizer.  I have remixed my version of Bento in Customizer and installed onto a USB stick with Startup Disk Creator.  On booting Lou's computer I hit a login window.  No go.  However booting straight to the installer worked - I need to boot my computer from another hard drive to see if it goes through with the install.  Am I missing any tweaks that need to be made with Customizer?  I'm also thinking of buying a couple of new USB sticks as mine are starting to get a bit used and abused - they do wear out in the end.

Just for fun I have included a shot of my "desktop", showing embedded terminal at top left, conky at top right, trayer at bottom right, and Thunar in TWIN PANE mode - that's a patched version I found.  It also has a lovely wallpaper I found years ago and still remains my favourite Openbox background.  Maybe I should post a write up of the specs elsewhere.

P.S - I noticed on a post you made somewhere - can't remember where - that you had a Lenovo X220 laptop.  Do you still have it?  We bought a refurbished one for our daughter the year before last.  It's a great laptop and even came with the dock.  I couldn't bring myself to buy a newer crap brand with Windows 10 installed!

Navigation

[0] Index des messages

[#] Page suivante

[*] Page précédente

Utiliser la version classique