Auteur Sujet: Internet speed slowing down - modem?  (Lu 11007 fois)

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
Internet speed slowing down - modem?
« le: 28 mai 2013 à 03:38:56 »
We are on ADSL broadband, running a Billion 7700N modem/router.  We run two ethernet and three wireless devices.  Over the last couple of months our internet speeds have slowly dropped from about 300+Kbps to between 8 and 120Kbps, mostly 30 to 40.  I rang our ISP and in the end they suggested it might be the modem.  I have done various isolation tests and swapped cables and filters.  I have done the reset and reconfigure a number of times.  With the ISP on the phone we actually lost internet because the Quick-start kept missing the page for user-name and password.  Eventually, some time later, I got the config to scan properly and reconnect.  Still slow!! 

We are in the process of finding another modem to test and compare - should be a spare one we can borrow where my wife works.  In the meantime, does anyone have any experience of this, and particularly that model.  Our ISP mentioned that a number of other customers have had issues with Billion modems of late.  At least we still have internet after the scare yesterday, but by rights it should really be up around the 800Kbps mark.
What can go wrong !!!

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : Internet speed slowing down - modem?
« Réponse #1 le: 28 mai 2013 à 10:48:17 »
Hi,
Maybe the content of a traceroute or tracepath to some remote ip would help your ISP figure out the problem? Here we have had some problems of disconnect when we moved in, but that was frequent disconnection problems, not slowness. And the problem was a damaged connecting sleeve on the line which was used as a house by a few families of insects happily enjoying an environment of dead leaves and such.
Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

Hors ligne mimas

• Général du Roi
  • Membre Complet
  • Jamais content
    • G+
« Réponse #2 le: 28 mai 2013 à 12:45:33 »
You should check out the line quality. Most of the routers have in their web interface a place where you could see this information.

Look up for CRC and FEC, the higher the number of CRC and FEC, the higher the number of packets transmitted are errors and error corrections. It slows down the transmission and gives this sensation you 're running an IP over avian carriers network.
« Modifié: 28 mai 2013 à 12:49:01 par mimas »
When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives.

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
« Réponse #3 le: 29 mai 2013 à 10:08:34 »
Thanks for the responses.  It would be nice if the modem just issued smoke and sparks, because that would be nice and straightforward!!  We borrowed another modem from someone using the same ISP, so it was just a case of plugging it in.  According to the Speed Test our download speeds jumped to 1.2Mbps, real life download was about 500-800Kbps, and we could stream youtube and online TV at high speed.  After an hour of this we figured we needed a new modem and swapped back to our crappy one.  Guess what?!?

Our modem now does everything the test modem did!!  We have had three computers streaming at the same time, upload and download at the same time, do basic downloads and browse - all seems to be maintaining the higher speeds.  I rang the ISP and explained the testing procedure and results and they still think it's the modem - something to do with repowering.  I'm at a slight loss because the Billion is still under warranty and we were going to speak to the supplier.  Might still do.  In the meantime we can get a free inhouse-designed modem from the ISP, so that's an option as well.  Means we can do direct comparisons for no extra outlay and we would have two modems, just in case.

I didn't realise there was so much to modems.  We will keep an eye on the current one and see how it goes, but if it does what it did before it will be a gradual decline in speed.
What can go wrong !!!

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : Re : Internet speed slowing down - modem?
« Réponse #4 le: 29 mai 2013 à 10:44:42 »
Our modem now does everything the test modem did!!

Because you got him jalous.  He thought you were replacing it. :D

I rang the ISP and explained the testing procedure and results and they still think it's the modem - something to do with repowering.

The power of will... joking here. The chipset might have been too hot?

I'm at a slight loss because the Billion is still under warranty and we were going to speak to the supplier.

How long has it been running at your home since you got it?

Means we can do direct comparisons for no extra outlay and we would have two modems, just in case.

ie: in case of a thunderstorm which breaks it you can have a fast replacement.

but if it does what it did before it will be a gradual decline in speed.

Or just dye suddenly. :)

Good get anyway, you have the connection at the right speed back and new ideas around the issue.

Hors ligne mimas

• Général du Roi
  • Membre Complet
  • Jamais content
    • G+
« Réponse #5 le: 29 mai 2013 à 11:16:30 »
When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives.

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
« Réponse #6 le: 29 mai 2013 à 15:28:14 »
@mimas - not only turned it on and off but even made sure it was plugged in!!  Got caught out that way once when I accidentally kicked a plug under the desk and spent twenty minutes trying to work out why my computer just suddenly died :o  Had it in bits before I found the dislodged plug :-[

@ka9yhd -  the modem was off for an hour or maybe a bit more - melodie mentioned heat too.  Maybe it does build up a heat issue - it is on 24/7 so maybe at least a fan-forced ventilated box.
What can go wrong !!!

Hors ligne mimas

• Général du Roi
  • Membre Complet
  • Jamais content
    • G+
« Réponse #7 le: 29 mai 2013 à 20:06:47 »
i don't think it's heat. These network appliances are powered by a low frequency CPU built to be embedded and forgotten in a dark and dusty place . A router doesn't heat that much, did you remove the cat on the top?

EDIT: Well, this model seems to have overheating issues (http://www.cnet.com.au/billion-bipac-7700n-339324712.htm, in the comments )
« Modifié: 29 mai 2013 à 20:44:40 par mimas »

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
Re : Re : Internet speed slowing down - modem?
« Réponse #8 le: 30 mai 2013 à 01:14:46 »
did you remove the cat on the top?

Didn't have to: not big enough - cats sleep on the computer box!!

EDIT - mimas' link is here.  Mentions overheating in the comments section.

EXTRA EDIT - oops, ka9hyd beat me to it!
« Modifié: 30 mai 2013 à 01:45:12 par Taco.22 »
What can go wrong !!!

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #9 le: 30 mai 2013 à 19:47:27 »
Hi,
Usually fans in computers and power units extract the heat and blow it out. They don't blow colder air inside. Wouldn't blowing air into it be bad for the components inside the device?

djohnston

• Invité
« Réponse #10 le: 30 mai 2013 à 20:14:19 »
I believe he meant for Taco to try setting an external fan on top of the modem rather than mounting it inside the modem's case. Depending on which way the fan is facing, it will either extract air or blow air through the modem's case. Either way, there's going to be extra air circulating through the modem. It's best to use an air filter where it's feasible.

I remember seeing a setup or two where the user was drawing outside air from an open window and circulating it through the computer case. They used an air filter outside of the computer to keep dust levels low. The main thing is to get the air exchange going in order to dissipate the heat.

Hors ligne mimas

• Général du Roi
  • Membre Complet
  • Jamais content
    • G+
« Réponse #11 le: 30 mai 2013 à 21:03:04 »
> Usually fans in computers and power units extract the heat and blow it out

No, they don't extract air, they blow air on the heat-sinker to dissipate heat (and charge the air with the extracted heat). In well designed computers, the warm air has an easy way out. In bad designed computers, it get warmer and warmer and the CPU handle the overheat by powering down.

@djohnston
I believe the same thing.

If it could help, don't use 12 V for the fan. Lower the voltage to 8-7 V. Thus, the fan turns slower and makes nearly no noise.
« Modifié: 30 mai 2013 à 21:17:47 par mimas »