Auteur Sujet: [SOLVED]Kernel 3.10.x and nVidia  (Lu 4356 fois)

djohnston

• Invité
[SOLVED]Kernel 3.10.x and nVidia
« le: 14 août 2013 à 20:57:43 »
If you use nVidia proprietary drivers, you should hold off on updating to the 3.10 kernel. The newer kernel breaks compatibility with the binary blob, and nVidia has not gotten their act together yet to offer a newer binary blob. I encountered the problem the other day, and have read other accounts of trying to make the two "play nice".
« Modifié: 15 août 2013 à 00:35:20 par djohnston »

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : Kernel 3.10.x and nVidia
« Réponse #1 le: 15 août 2013 à 00:02:21 »
If you use nVidia proprietary drivers, you should hold off on updating to the 3.10 kernel. The newer kernel breaks compatibility with the binary blob, and nVidia has not gotten their act together yet to offer a newer binary blob. I encountered the problem the other day, and have read other accounts of trying to make the two "play nice".

That might be in Debian?

No such problem met in Archlinux. However some of the usb sticks could not be seen and mounted anymore, so while I was using a LTS kernel available in Archlinux, others were using a patch provided somewhere. Now we have a 3.10.6 kernel and all is fine.

My nVidia card: GeForce 8400 GS
Nom                   : linux-lts
Version               : 3.0.90-1

Nom                   : linux
Version               : 3.10.6-2

Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

djohnston

• Invité
Re : Kernel 3.10.x and nVidia
« Réponse #2 le: 15 août 2013 à 00:34:57 »
Well, I spoke too soon. nVidia recently updated their drivers for the LTS 3.10 kernel.

Instead of checking nVidia's site, I was perusing all the successful and not-so-successful patches to nVidia's binary run file. I'll mark this as [SOLVED].