Auteur Sujet: Mir VS Wayland  (Lu 3618 fois)

konaexpress

• Invité
Mir VS Wayland
« le: 11 mars 2013 à 17:20:44 »
Has anyone heard about this yet? The replacement for X11?

Yikes, sounds like Ubuntu is going to go do their own thing. Not sure what to think about all this and what it will mean to doing respins.

djohnston

• Invité
Re : Mir VS Wayland
« Réponse #1 le: 11 mars 2013 à 20:21:41 »
Building & Running The Ubuntu Mir Display Server

Doesn't look very promising. Right now, it's only early alpha code. The Linux Mint developer Clem Lefebvre has already publicly stated he's sticking with X.org, because it already exists and works. Same goes for a couple of Kubuntu coders.

Last two paragraphs of the article:

Seeing as Canonical doesn't have any serious low-level Linux graphics developers as part of the small team working on Mir and the company has further alienated upstream X.Org/Wayland/Mesa developers with Mir, it will be a miracle if Mir is ready for all form factors in a production environment by Ubuntu 14.04 LTS next year.

Ubuntu LTS releases used to be about stability and well-tested code so it's a surprise they plan to introduce the new display server into Ubuntu 14.04. For at least Ubuntu 14.04 on the desktop I think it will be more likely they will end up pushing Mir as just an experimental feature while an X.Org Server will continue doing the bulk of the work. Then again, it was just last year that Canonical thought they would have a Wayland-based System Compositor for Ubuntu 12.10.
Yes, Shuttleworth keeps getting deeper and deeper in $h|+.

konaexpress

• Invité
« Réponse #2 le: 12 mars 2013 à 01:46:15 »
The more I read about this and what the heads of other distros think, the more this makes me nervous. GambOS is based on Lubuntu and the Gambas IDE is developed on Ubuntu. We have not heard from Benoit M about what his plans are for Gambas yet.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #3 le: 12 mars 2013 à 01:56:16 »
Do not worry ! Everything at the end changes, transforms, moves on, and also new things appear! Just live in the present, for the present is a gift! ;-)

Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.