Auteur Sujet: Bit the Bullet  (Lu 6124 fois)

konaexpress

• Invité
Bit the Bullet
« le: 08 mars 2013 à 08:11:13 »
Well I had problems with my netbook and decided to bite the bullet. I formatted the drive getting rid of the Windows backup and Windows partition and installed CrunchBang. The Waldorf version is a cool distro, I like it.

Wish me luck as this is a Linux only machine now.............feewwww!!!! :o

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : Bit the Bullet
« Réponse #1 le: 08 mars 2013 à 08:21:57 »
Good luck !

Have you considered trying one of the OBUbuntu last test versions on your netbook ? I know I didn't quite work on the descriptions for now, but it almost reaches the level of the pclos openbox.
Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
« Réponse #2 le: 08 mars 2013 à 13:26:29 »
Just out of curiosity - what made you choose Waldorf over VillageBox?

Wish me luck as this is a Linux only machine now.............feewwww!!!!  :o
No luck needed - that's what you need when you run Windows !!!

The natural state of computing is anything and everything other than Microsoft - Windows just ain't natural!
What can go wrong !!!

konaexpress

• Invité
Re : Re : Bit the Bullet
« Réponse #3 le: 08 mars 2013 à 15:06:11 »
Just out of curiosity - what made you choose Waldorf over VillageBox?
No luck needed - that's what you need when you run Windows !!!

The natural state of computing is anything and everything other than Microsoft - Windows just ain't natural!

Hi Taco!

I loaded Crunch Bang because it is something I have always wanted to do but I am sure I will load something else as I am not a fan of Terminator and a couple of things. I wanted to study how their menu works and that Python welcome script and see if I can mod the thing.

konaexpress

• Invité
« Réponse #4 le: 08 mars 2013 à 15:10:39 »
Good luck !

Have you considered trying one of the OBUbuntu last test versions on your netbook ? I know I didn't quite work on the descriptions for now, but it almost reaches the level of the pclos openbox.

Yes I thought about it but just between you and I, Im not sure what the difference is in rc3 - 6. You have a few to choose from LOL!

This is not the only distro going on my netbook, this is just a chance for me to finally play around on an all Linux box for a bit.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : Re : Re : Bit the Bullet
« Réponse #5 le: 08 mars 2013 à 15:18:55 »
Yes I thought about it but just between you and I, Im not sure what the difference is in rc3 - 6. You have a few to choose from LOL!

The size ! RC3 is 470 MB and icons are missing in the menus. RC6 is 718 MB? has all the icons (faenza cuppertino, blue and square shaped), Ubuntu Software Center, Update notifier, Libreoffice Writer, Calc, and Impress, gxine, Exaile. All have Midori, Sakura, Geany, and cli tools such as ssh, testdisk, sdparm, hdparm, lftp. RC5 has all except Libreoffice.

I am not sure if only RC6 has this or RC5 also : I added lxpanel with specific configurations and a menu button I did : you should see that, you might like the idea, but the result is not really good as artwork... I would sure need a hand there. :D

(to get it, tint2 desktop file must be renamed in .config/autostart and... well I'll explain later, if you are interested).

« Modifié: 08 mars 2013 à 15:21:41 par mélodie »

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
« Réponse #6 le: 08 mars 2013 à 15:37:29 »
@kona
Crunchbang is a good distro, and the cb-welcome script is well worth a look.  Just remember that the root menu doesn't automatically update when you add a new application - you need to do that yourself in menu.xml.
What can go wrong !!!

konaexpress

• Invité
« Réponse #7 le: 08 mars 2013 à 16:21:02 »
@kona
Crunchbang is a good distro, and the cb-welcome script is well worth a look.  Just remember that the root menu doesn't automatically update when you add a new application - you need to do that yourself in menu.xml.
Yea, ran into that!

I had to go make a "your app.desktop" file and edit that stupid menu thing. I like the way #! Has a link to OBmenu in the menu to make it easier to find it. I remembered what you guys said about refreshing the menu thing though I don't think the .desktop file has anything to do with it.

konaexpress

• Invité
Re : Re : Re : Re : Bit the Bullet
« Réponse #8 le: 08 mars 2013 à 16:32:33 »
The size ! RC3 is 470 MB and icons are missing in the menus. RC6 is 718 MB? has all the icons (faenza cuppertino, blue and square shaped), Ubuntu Software Center, Update notifier, Libreoffice Writer, Calc, and Impress, gxine, Exaile. All have Midori, Sakura, Geany, and cli tools such as ssh, testdisk, sdparm, hdparm, lftp. RC5 has all except Libreoffice.

I am not sure if only RC6 has this or RC5 also : I added lxpanel with specific configurations and a menu button I did : you should see that, you might like the idea, but the result is not really good as artwork... I would sure need a hand there. :D

(to get it, tint2 desktop file must be renamed in .config/autostart and... well I'll explain later, if you are interested).

Do you think you could use the #! Cb-welcome script to instal office and other apps so you can keep the distro smaller?

I think I will take a look at RC6 then, I like LXpanel.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : Bit the Bullet
« Réponse #9 le: 08 mars 2013 à 23:14:00 »
Do you think you could use the #! Cb-welcome script to instal office and other apps so you can keep the distro smaller?

I don't know yet of what use it is. In Ubuntu, there are Synaptic, and Ubuntu Software Center. The problem I would like to solve, which is the reason I started this project, is the same as what motivated me at PCLinuxOS : have the lightest possible, for the less knowledgeable people. Let me know if a profusion of methods to install programs would rather help, or rather confuse newcomers ?

In Ubuntu, they already have Synaptic, Software Center, at Lubuntu there is a Lubuntu software center (ok, very light compared to the other one, but very unefficient when it comes to using the integrated search engine : it haven't found any of the applications I have been seeking for in it... )

and they also have gdebi (to install deb packages) and also we can add ppa repositories... all this seems really a lot. Oh and there is also a "apt-url" method !

However, someone offered to make scripts, later in the future, such as "icons on the desktop that you can point and click" and which will really be sort of little meta-packages, to install stuff for multimedia, or other kinds of applications. I have been very interested because this seems to me very suitable for newcomers : what do you think ?

I think I will take a look at RC6 then, I like LXpanel.

To start it instead of tint2, you will create a desktop file (in Ubuntu I will try lighten what is included in the autostart file, and each time it will be possible, use the autostart directory instead, because "xdg-autostart" is at work... you will see it in the autostart *file* : it can replace lots of lines, however not all yet, some programs don't play well with it).

Here is how, in a console which you will start as simple user:
cd .config/autostartcp tint2.desktop lxpanel.desktopmv tint2.desktop tint2.desktop.back
then open lxpanel.destkop with geany and change the lines to make it look like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
Name=Lxpanel
Name[fr_FR]=Lxpanel
Exec=/usr/bin/lxpanel
Comment=Panel for LXDE
Comment[fr_FR]=Panel Lxde

Instead of this:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
Name=Tint2
Name[fr_FR]=Tint2
Exec=/usr/bin/tint2
Comment[fr_FR]=Panel léger

Then logout/login.

konaexpress

• Invité
« Réponse #10 le: 11 mars 2013 à 05:29:32 »
OK, going to dump Crunchbang in the am. It is a good OS but just not doing it for me.

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
« Réponse #11 le: 11 mars 2013 à 07:22:21 »
Hey kona, I heard about this neat little distro.  I think it's called VillageBox or something.  I could find the link if you want  ;D
What can go wrong !!!

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #12 le: 11 mars 2013 à 14:01:41 »
Hey kona, I heard about this neat little distro.  I think it's called VillageBox or something.  I could find the link if you want  ;D

He will you leave konaexpress alone and let him try the (U)Bento boxes I am building ? :D

Kona, I just uploaded RC7, with Lxpanel already at work, and many things. I am preparing the list of apps now, and thinking of writing a full description of it with the presentation of some tricks added, within one or two days. It is 699 MB large.

konaexpress

• Invité
Re : Re : Re : Bit the Bullet
« Réponse #13 le: 11 mars 2013 à 14:16:48 »
He will you leave konaexpress alone and let him try the (U)Bento boxes I am building ? :D

Kona, I just uploaded RC7, with Lxpanel already at work, and many things. I am preparing the list of apps now, and thinking of writing a full description of it with the presentation of some tricks added, within one or two days. It is 699 MB large.
Because there isn't any description of the files in that link, I am to assume you would like me to download the newest one? They all look like the same file but have different size and upload date.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : Re : Re : Re : Bit the Bullet
« Réponse #14 le: 11 mars 2013 à 14:29:49 »
Because there isn't any description of the files in that link, I am to assume you would like me to download the newest one? They all look like the same file but have different size and upload date.

The last one at the bottom of the list is 'Ubuntu Mini Remix', it's of no use to you : I just mirror it for the people who would want to start building on it, as it is the one I used and which is often advised to use for making spins.

The first one is the 470 MB dedicated to become a "Do It Yourself" easy to use. So what you need is the one in the middle, 699 MB.

The files having 62, 62, and 67 as numbers are the md5sum files.

« Modifié: 11 mars 2013 à 14:31:38 par mélodie »