Projects and resources (En) > Create masters

Bento RC (almost finale) ready to get - Who wants to test?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Jeff:
Hi mélodie,

Thanks for bringing me up to date.  As it turns out, the problems I've encountered all seem to be grub related.  The non PAE ISO and standard ISO both run fine as a live CD.  Whoever, I've had to fix grub after a hard drive install on all three of my test machines, as none of them would boot.  I now have all three up and running Bento.  By the way, here are the machines I'm running:

1) DELL Inspiron 8600, Pentium M, 1.60GHz, 512 Meg ram
Had to use Non PAE Version
2) DELL Dimension 4550, Pentium IV, 2.40Ghz, 2 Gigs ram
Used PAE Version
3) ACER Aspire 3680, Celeron M, 1.50GHz, 1 Gig ram
Used PAE Version

I'm going to download bento-ubuntu-remix-RC-linux-3.8-fake-pae-i386-2012.04.3.grub-n-iso.img.gz and give it a try on the Pentium M, that needed the Non PAE Version.

I'll get back to you later this week,

Jeff

melodie:
Hi Jeff!

The following files have a PAE capable kernel:
bento-ubuntu-remix-RC-linux-3.8-fake-pae-i386-2012.04.3.grub-n-iso.img.gz   
bento-ubuntu-remix-RC-linux-3.8-fake-pae-i386-2012.04.3.iso
bento-ubuntu-remix-RC-linux-3.11-i386-2012.04.3.iso

just the two with "fake pae" contain a script which allows by-passing an issue related to pae not detected in some of the machines coming with Pentium M/Celeron M CPUs.

The two following ISO's have a kernel withouth PAE:
bento-ubuntu-remix-RC-3.2.0-57-generic-i386-2012.04.3.iso
bento-ubuntu-remix-RC-linux-3.2.0-56_non-pae-i386-2012.04.3.iso

I think I should leave only two of them at the end. It might be the next generic 3.2.0-58 and a 3.8.x something (the 3.2.0 generic series are without PAE anyway, the other series of 3.2 generic kernels, ie 3.8 generic, are all PAE - this is a Ubuntu "thing" a bit confusing, I realize I'll have to be even more clear about it… )

I am looking forward to your next info.

melodie:

--- Citation de: Jeff le 08 décembre 2013 à 17:57:25 ---By the way, here are the machines I'm running:

1) DELL Inspiron 8600, Pentium M, 1.60GHz, 512 Meg ram
Had to use Non PAE Version
2) DELL Dimension 4550, Pentium IV, 2.40Ghz, 2 Gigs ram
Used PAE Version
3) ACER Aspire 3680, Celeron M, 1.50GHz, 1 Gig ram
Used PAE Version

--- Fin de citation ---

Hi again,

I tried a search on Dell Inspiron 8600 but didn't succeed finding your model, because it seems they have been produced several variants for it starting 2004 up to 2008. I have also found two variants of the processor for it, one would be "Banias", and the other "Dothan". (Not even sure this is one of the CPU used by your machine).

ie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Inspiron_8600#Inspiron_8600

and other places. :)

Jeff:
Hi mélodie,

I've not had a chance to do much testing this last week, as work has kept me very busy.  By the way, the information you found on my old Dell Inspiron 8600, is accurate.  If I recall correctly, the processor is a Banias.

The only thing I tested this week was, bento-ubuntu-remix-RC-linux-3.8-fake-pae-i386-2012.04.3.grub-n-iso.img.gz and it works, as long as you have over a 1 gig of ram.  While in wouldn't boot from a usb thumb drive with only 512 megs ram, it worked once I upgraded to 1 gig of ram.

As for the programs with Bento, the ones I've tested so far work fine, including flPhoto.  I used FlPhoto with a Fujifilm XP and it worked fine.  Is there any particular item that you want me to test?

Have a great day,

Jeff

melodie:
Hello Jeff!

--- Citation de: Jeff le 14 décembre 2013 à 17:49:17 ---While in wouldn't boot from a usb thumb drive with only 512 megs ram, it worked once I upgraded to 1 gig of ram.
--- Fin de citation ---

I wonder why. Does the machine have USB 1.1 connectors instead of 2.0? Maybe the boot would have been slow to start (time needed to decompress the initrd and so on), and it would have finally booted?

I still have my laptop IBM T30, which can boot to USB, provided I set it up in the BIOS each time I want to perform a boot to USB, and it has only the old USB 1, and this is veeeeeeery slow. :)

But at the end, Bento was installed. This is why I ask you the question, wondering if you didn't just meet with the same kind of problem.

--- Citer ---As for the programs with Bento, the ones I've tested so far work fine, including flPhoto.  I used FlPhoto with a Fujifilm XP and it worked fine.
--- Fin de citation ---

Very good! When I installed it, it is because I remembered when we tested pclos ob mini you had a particular camera which could not be accessed as USB Mass Storage and remembered flphoto used to do the trick.

--- Citer ---Is there any particular item that you want me to test?
--- Fin de citation ---

I wouldn't know. Would you consider introducing Bento to people you know around you? I also thought I should create some special versions but I am not sure I will find time for that.

There is also a small list to be done to make it even better, which includes creating a slide-show for the installer (I would plan to take on the one from Lubuntu and modify it to match the programs installed in Bento : but of course it would have only the texts available in English and in French, at least for a start).

Are there other programs which you would think I should add or things to improve?

Have a nice day. :)

Navigation

[0] Index des messages

[#] Page suivante

[*] Page précédente

Utiliser la version classique