Projects and resources (En) > Contributing to FOSS

Conky Script Manager

(1/3) > >>

konaexpress:
Almost done programming an app to take care of Conky scripts. A user will be able to import them,save them and let the app make the script change so Conky can be changed on the fly. Working on a text editor for it now but I don't know if that will be in version one or two. Hope to have a couple of screenshots of it soon.

konaexpress:
Here are a couple of screen shots.

The main window:

Screen shot 2013-02-26 at 9.06.23 AM by The Kona Express, on Flickr

The finder window to add new scripts:

Screen shot 2013-02-26 at 9.07.05 AM by The Kona Express, on Flickr

konaexpress:
OK, almost done with it and it works great but what the hell is up with Conky? Is it just me or is it when Conky is installed in Debian LXDE, it does not read the blasted .conkyrc file in /home? I see that Taco put it in /home/user/Conky and it works, how did he get it to read there? I can change my app to put the files there but how does Conky know to go there and not in /home?

Taco.22:
In the OB auto start file I instructed conky to start thus -

--- Code: ---conky -c ~/.conky/conkyrc &
--- Fin du code ---
This tells conky to start, "-c" to check in a directory, and then the path to the file.  In LXDE you will probably have to change the .desktop file in the ~/.config/autostart directory to reflect this.  To get the conky script to stick after reboot you probably need the script to modify that file.

NB - I really need to start writing "~/" as "$HOME" - is more consistent with coding.  Thus -
--- Code: ---conky -c ~/.conky/conkyrc &
--- Fin du code ---
would be
--- Code: ---conky -c $HOME/.conky/conkyrc &
--- Fin du code ---

melodie:
Hi,

I LXDE you need to add a desktop file in the ~/.config/autostart directory. (For one person, if you want it started for all, you will add it into /etc/xdg/autostart, and there is also one more method, adding "@program" in a file... see the LXDE wiki for more).

If no desktop file exists you can create it.

To create a small basic desktop file we can use lxshortcut. For example in console,

--- Code: ---lxshortcut -o conky.desktop
--- Fin du code ---

starts a little window; once the fields filled, this is what I get:

--- Citer ---[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
Name=Conky
Name[fr_FR]=Conky
Icon=utilities-system-monitor
Exec=/usr/bin/conky -c ~/.conky/conkyrc
Comment[fr_FR]=
StartupNotify=true

--- Fin de citation ---

There is a help to it : "lxshortcut --help" or "lxshortcut --help-all" and so on...

I think I can change the last line of this desktop file to false.

In Archlinux, the .conkyrc I have is directly under my home. All configuration files tend to be placed into ~/.config/ in their own directory, (except for the ones which use lots of space.)which is cleaner and easier to manage.

Navigation

[0] Index des messages

[#] Page suivante

Utiliser la version classique