Auteur Sujet: Enlightenment's Terminal Brings In Fancy Features  (Lu 6848 fois)

djohnston

• Invité
Enlightenment's Terminal Brings In Fancy Features
« le: 28 mars 2013 à 02:24:32 »
Posted by Michael Larabel on March 26, 2013

Terminology 0.3 has been released, which is the Enlightenment project's own terminal emulator built atop EFL (Enlightenment Foundation Library) components. Terminology is written from scratch and with its v0.3 release it boasts some truly original and innovative features for this terminal emulator. There's embedded support for previewing videos/images and other new inline capabilities.

Enlightenment's Terminology 0.3 introduces support for splits, tabs, and inlined videos and images. Besides just videos and image files, there's also support within this terminal emulator for SVG and PDF files.

There's also better color customization support for the terminal emulator, support for dragging and dropping links/texts, many keybinding accelerators, and new escape sequence handling.

For showing off the unique Terminology capabilities, there's a few new command-line tools like tyls, tycat, typop, tyq,tybg, and tyalpha. Rather than explaining all of the features, embedded below is a video that shows off Enlightemnet's Terminology 0.3 with new features like previewing video files from a list of files and handling other multimedia types.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ibPziLRGvkg#!

The Terminology 0.3 release announcement can be found at Enlightenment.org. Other features to this original EFL terminal emulator can be found on its about page.

konaexpress

• Invité
Re : Enlightenment's Terminal Brings In Fancy Features
« Réponse #1 le: 28 mars 2013 à 03:10:27 »
Wow....

Could it be loaded onto Openbox maybe?

djohnston

• Invité
Re : Re : Enlightenment's Terminal Brings In Fancy Features
« Réponse #2 le: 28 mars 2013 à 07:05:27 »

Now, there's a thought. I don't see why not, as long as the required EFL libraries are present. I wonder how useful some of the features are, though. Is it mostly useless eye candy, like Compiz?  ???

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #3 le: 28 mars 2013 à 12:42:55 »
I don't like eye candy in terminal, but this one could fit people who love mouse clicking over using a keyboard. :)

Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

Hors ligne mimas

• Général du Roi
  • Membre Complet
  • Jamais content
    • G+
« Réponse #4 le: 28 mars 2013 à 13:35:45 »
> this one could fit people who love mouse clicking over using a keyboard.

It's a niche market. Maybe if we can display in background a SVG with javascripted falling down green asian symbols... No, it will remain a niche market. :)

When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives.

konaexpress

• Invité
« Réponse #5 le: 30 mars 2013 à 15:54:09 »
Any news if this will run in Openbox yet?

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #6 le: 30 mars 2013 à 21:20:15 »
Any news if this will run in Openbox yet?

Openbox being a window manager mostly, there is no reason why it wouldn't ? I'll try it in my Archlinux box, if it does not pull in too many depends.

$ yaourt terminology
1 aur/terminology 0.3.0-1 (71)
    Terminal emulator for e17

^^

/Edit: depends:
Cibles (15) : e_dbus-1.7.5-1  ecore-1.7.5-1  edje-1.7.5-1  eet-1.7.5-1
              eeze-1.7.5-1  efreet-1.7.5-1  eina-1.7.5-1  eio-1.7.5-1
              embryo-1.7.5-1  emotion-1.7.5-1  ethumb-1.7.5-1  evas-1.7.5-1
              evas_generic_loaders-1.7.5-3  libraw-0.14.7-1
              elementary-1.7.5-1

Taille totale de téléchargement :    8,22 MiB
Taille totale installé :      23,69 MiB

Procéder à l'installation ? [O/n]

djohnston

• Invité
« Réponse #7 le: 31 mars 2013 à 20:25:41 »
Wow....

Yes and no. I installed it on the OBubuntu remix. Everything works ... except video. The video will start. Then the video freezes, and the audio quits shortly thereafter. I tried using Xine, VLC, Banshee and Mplayer. Every one of them had the same result. The video would start, but never finish. The other features work.

I compiled the libraries on Debian, all the way through ethumb. No matter what I did, the ethumb library would not compile with ethumbd support, which is the daemon that generates the clickable thumbnails in terminology.

For OBubuntu, I used Bodhi packages. I never realized until now that ALL of Bodhi's packages are unsigned. And Jeff refuses to implement package signing. Hmmm.
« Modifié: 31 mars 2013 à 20:28:39 par djohnston »

konaexpress

• Invité
« Réponse #8 le: 31 mars 2013 à 21:36:26 »
What is unsigned? What does it do?

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #9 le: 31 mars 2013 à 22:12:06 »
What is unsigned? What does it do?

I can be a security issue. If an attacker gets the packages (while sniffing the web), modifies them and then send them again (I don't know how it is really done, I say just to get the idea) then the destination could get perverted packages. If the packages are signed and your package manager has the authentication keys configured then the package manager will systematically check the signatures when receiving these packages, and send an alert message, then ask if you want to install untrusted packages.

djohnston, which version of OBUbuntu did you try ? I had no feedback since I posted the full presentation I did in the "Create masters" forum.

I have installed this terminal in Archlinux and can't try it yet because the fonts are wayayay too small. How could I configure the fonts size ?

« Modifié: 31 mars 2013 à 22:15:36 par mélodie »

djohnston

• Invité
Re : Re : Re : Enlightenment's Terminal Brings In Fancy Features
« Réponse #10 le: 31 mars 2013 à 22:46:43 »
djohnston, which version of OBUbuntu did you try ? I had no feedback since I posted the full presentation I did in the "Create masters" forum.

obubuntu-12.04-i386-RC3

I have installed this terminal in Archlinux and can't try it yet because the fonts are wayayay too small. How could I configure the fonts size ?

Right-click in terminology window. Select Settings. Font is at the top of the list. I've found Terminus 14 or 16 to be tolerable.

For Video, the Video Engine should be set to Automatic. Translucent or not makes no difference.