Projects and resources (En) > Create masters

Create your Debian based distribution

<< < (2/5) > >>

melodie:
Either or I will believe you both. I fear there is no perfect method else than getting deep knowledge of the systems and make an install starting from a bootstrap in a chroot. (However I intend to try several methods with gui apps before declaring I am defeated... still working on the Ubuntu mini remix and Lubuntu these days).

Taco.22:
I've been running Remastersys reliably since the 3.0.0 version came out.  However I tend to be a bit conservative in my build approach.  So there are a few "rules" that I currently stick to because they work for me. 

I don't use Ubuntu because they keep changing the goal posts, and Remastersys/fragadelic has a hard time keeping up.  I stick to Debian, and Debian, boring though it may seem, stays still long enough that you can use it long term. 

I also keep within the repos except for a couple of minor apps like Pytyle.  I guess that was a lesson learned from the days at PCLOS - if you go outside the repo it's not supported.  I'm not paranoid about it, but I have done my fair share of compiling programs from source on my computer and it only takes one little update to some insignificant lib somewhere and you're back into hair-pulling mode.  I don't have a problem with private repos or PPAs.

I don't remaster in a virtual machine - full stop.  It's always bare metal, and if that isn't around then I can use a usb stick with a full install.  In fact that is how VillageBox is currently done - it's on a stick that gets stuck into the test rig which has six partitions on the hard drive!!

The thing to remember with Remastersys is that if you are doing a "dist" build then rule Number No:1 is paramount - everything you want to see on boot/install MUST be in /etc/skel.  No ifs or buts.  That will also mean that the live ISO will be in root mode when you boot, so there are no user names or root passwords.

I have to say that I find Remastersys easier to use than Mylivecd on PCLOS because I only have to make sure /etc/skel is good.  In Mylivecd the live ISO came out of the user set up, and the install came out of /etc/skel - so you had two lots of config stuff to keep track of.

My quest since leaving PCLOS has been to find a distro that I can reliably remaster, and I have to say that the combination of Debian and Remastersys is certainly serving me well.  However, as the saying goes, YMMV!

melodie:
I just found "rig, a slang term referring to a computer", source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rig#Slang and now what is YMMV?

(my guess is that at the end of the present year I might have acquired a lot of new slang and specific English words!)

Thanks for your feedback. :)

About remastering Ubuntu, I have tried 2 tools so far, one for the project with Openbox and one on a project with Lubuntu : Remastersys in this case (I am at the beginning of the tests and research). And I will try a new tool soon for the Openbox only one. All is in bare metal too : adding a layer such as Virtualbox would not be a good idea, I agree with that because I think we don't know what goes on inside. Recently happened: I could not have internet connected in a vbox where I was testing the remaster : I finally found out Ubuntu does not like anymore when the vbox machine is in bridge mode; I switched back to "NAT" and that worked again at the following boots.

Taco.22:

--- Citation de: mélodie le 15 février 2013 à 11:43:23 ---I just found "rig, a slang term referring to a computer", source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rig#Slang and now what is YMMV?

(my guess is that at the end of the present year I might have acquired a lot of new slang and specific English words!)

--- Fin de citation ---
Yep, I think you will be up there on Colloquial English - not a subject that the "best" schools teach!!

So, "rig" - my experience of that is through all the bad movies that Burt Reynolds and others made!  A "rig" is the "tractor" or "primer-mover" part of a semi-trailer.  No, actually it is the whole unit, all mover and shaker, all 18 wheels, except down here where they are a minimum of 24 wheels!  Gee, you can really see how that became a slang term for a computer!!  Anyway,  I think the term "rig" came from that - but don't quote me!

Ah, now to YMMV - basically it means "Your Mileage May Vary".  That is, it might work for you or it might not - depends.  It means that it works for me, might not work for you, but then it works for a friend of yours!  All depends!  Now the object of the exercise is to get everyones base equal enough that everything "just works" - hopefully!  But then again, YMMV!

And that right now should all be as clear as mud!!

melodie:
ah ha ! your millage! to mill is to grind ? wheat for example ? :)

fr: wheat, blé, mill, moudre, millage → mouture ! \o/ !

(millage of the linuxvillage... )

Navigation

[0] Index des messages

[#] Page suivante

[*] Page précédente

Utiliser la version classique