Auteur Sujet: Debian backports will be integrated in the main archive  (Lu 2711 fois)

djohnston

• Invité
Debian backports will be integrated in the main archive
« le: 25 mars 2013 à 19:55:54 »
Source

March 20th, 2013

The Debian project is pleased to announce that the backports service for the next stable release Debian 7 (codename "Wheezy") will be part of the main archive. Backports are packages mostly from the testing distribution (and in few cases from unstable too, e.g. security updates) recompiled in a stable environment so that they will run without new libraries (whenever it is possible) on the Debian stable distribution. While as for now this service was provided on a separated archive, starting with wheezy-backports the packages will be accessible from the regular pool.
The users of "Wheezy" will have to add to their sources.list file this entry:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-backports main

All users of the service are invited to check their regular mirror if it carries backports and pull from there. Please note that this change does not affect the current stable release Debian 6 (codename "Squeeze").

Hors ligne patrick013

• Membre Senior
Re : Debian backports will be integrated in the main archive
« Réponse #1 le: 25 mars 2013 à 23:16:29 »
Source

The Debian project is pleased to announce that the backports service for the next stable release Debian 7 (codename "Wheezy") will be part of the main archive.

Well for the present, taking into account DJ's post here, I would avoid the
Debian-Multimedia.org repo, also.

I think we would do well with the testing repo for multimedia.    I uninstalled
all packages from that repo and reinstalled Clementie and VLC, and tested
them both for over an hour.     And all is well with the programs from the regular
Debian testing repo.    I think the 2 fellows that run the DMO are making some
"experimental" modifications that are not supported by Debian mainstream
testing systems overall.     Experimental, not "testing".

However, I did install 2 codec packages from DMO and they appear to work OK,
but not the whole program packages themselves.    FAAC and libdvdcss2, which may
be used and aren't in the official testing repo.

Expect DMO's packages to be a little clunky.

Just FYI,

patrick