Auteur Sujet: New version of openbox-menu  (Lu 11172 fois)

Hors ligne mimas

• Général du Roi
  • Membre Complet
  • Jamais content
    • G+
New version of openbox-menu
« le: 20 août 2013 à 13:19:44 »
Hello there,

A new Openbox-menu is out. The version 0.5.0 brings SVG icons (Openbox supports SVG icons since 3.5.1) and fix a few bugs.

SVG display is activated by editing the Makefile (a line to uncomment). It will be activated by default in the future versions of openbox-menu. SVG support is quite new in Openbox ,august 2013, and this will cause too many icons to not be displayed if I activate it in Openbox-menu.

Other news, I'm switching from Google Code to BitBucket : https://bitbucket.org/fabriceT/openbox-menu.

Feel free to submit correction (englich iz not my native language), idea or anything else.
When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives.

djohnston

• Invité
Re : New version of openbox-menu
« Réponse #1 le: 20 août 2013 à 23:00:45 »
Feel free to submit correction (englich iz not my native language), idea or anything else.

Your English is better than some (many?) native English speakers. No corrections are needed.

I think "englich iz" is tongue-in-cheek, right?   :P

Hors ligne mimas

• Général du Roi
  • Membre Complet
  • Jamais content
    • G+
« Réponse #2 le: 21 août 2013 à 14:34:55 »
You are kind. :)

I built you a new version of obsession with configuration file support (screen lock command and logout command).
When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives.

djohnston

• Invité
Re : Re : New version of openbox-menu
« Réponse #3 le: 22 août 2013 à 07:27:48 »
I built you a new version of obsession with configuration file support (screen lock command and logout command).

mimas,

Can I get a look at that? Do I need to modify the Openbox portion(s) for JWM again? Your previous one works flawlessly with the Debian 7/JWM respin.

Hors ligne mimas

• Général du Roi
  • Membre Complet
  • Jamais content
    • G+
« Réponse #4 le: 22 août 2013 à 09:37:24 »
> Can I get a look at that?

Sure. https://bitbucket.org/fabriceT/obsession/downloads

> Do I need to modify the Openbox portion(s) for JWM again?

No, all you have to do is to change the line 'logout' in ~/.config/obsession.conf (file automatically created if it doesn't exist).

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #5 le: 22 août 2013 à 21:14:22 »
Hi,

Great work mimas!

djohnston, how low on resources is your Debian JWM spin? Do you plan to share a version at some time in the coming weeks?

Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

djohnston

• Invité
« Réponse #6 le: 22 août 2013 à 22:07:43 »
Great work mimas!
+1 Thank you. I've downloaded your latest package, but haven't looked at it yet.

djohnston, how low on resources is your Debian JWM spin? Do you plan to share a version at some time in the coming weeks?
Yes, I do plan to make the respin available to anyone who wants it. I've been a little apathetic and lazy on getting it finished, lately. But, I will get it done. As to how low on resources it is, the conky display paints a pretty good picture.

As you can see, it uses 48.8MB of RAM at startup. It's well below my target of 64MB, but it's still about 10MB higher than JWM on AntiX. I'm still trying to find out how to optimize the memory more efficiently. Here's a shot of mimas's (earlier) Obsession modified for use with JWM:

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #7 le: 23 août 2013 à 00:40:30 »
This is a beautiful result! I don't know what antiX does. Have you gone through the shell script collection in the /usr/local/bin directory of the distro?

One more question, what is the lower specs advised for the CPU?

djohnston

• Invité
« Réponse #8 le: 23 août 2013 à 06:23:03 »
One more question, what is the lower specs advised for the CPU?

I'm using a 486 kernel, not the 686 one. So, P2 and up? I can only test on a P3. That's the oldest I have.

Hors ligne mimas

• Général du Roi
  • Membre Complet
  • Jamais content
    • G+
« Réponse #9 le: 23 août 2013 à 15:47:40 »
Remember you can customize the obsession-logout window. I didn't touch anything from LXDE code

Hors ligne patrick013

• Membre Senior
« Réponse #10 le: 30 octobre 2013 à 02:09:41 »
Hi,

Any .deb packages available for openbox-menu and obsession ?
Even a .deb package for a control center executable I can install
on Scorpio ?

My make skills are non-existent these days.

Thanks a bunch.

Patrick

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #11 le: 30 octobre 2013 à 14:36:24 »
Hi Patrick,
There is a package for Debian which I did when I worked on a ppa for Ubuntu. You can find it here (32bits only):
http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/Debian/openbox-menu_0.3.6.7-1_i386.deb

It is not the latest however it works perfectly in my Debian stable install.

Do you have the configuration files for it? If not, get the tarball "openbox.tar.gz" here:
http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/Debian/

(read the readme which is inside).

obsession : I didn't package it yet, too busy working to improve Bento Ubuntu Remix. However there is a compiled tar.gz you can decompress in your system:
http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/Debian/obsession-debian-testing-compiled.tar.xz

The ownership and permissions are the right ones, so if you decompress it as root under the / part of your system it will be installed nicely under /usr/local as it must be:
The binaries under /usr/local/bin, the language files under /usr/local/share/locales, and images which go along into /usr/local/share/obsession/images/

So I recommand putting the tarball under / and type in the console as root
tar xvfJ /obsession-debian-testing-compiled.tar.xz
the Openbox Control Center does not have a package, it's sort of an "alpha stage". (No desktop file to start it either... )

Hors ligne patrick013

• Membre Senior
« Réponse #12 le: 30 octobre 2013 à 19:40:18 »
Hi,

Thanks for those links.

I do have both those packages installed and working.

Just have to wait and see for all 3 of them in new .deb's
then.

Post if anything pops up.

Have a good one.

Patrick

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #13 le: 31 octobre 2013 à 02:28:29 »
Hi,
Thanks for those links.

Hi, you're welcome.

I do have both those packages installed and working.

Good!

Just have to wait and see for all 3 of them in new .deb's
then.
Post if anything pops up.

I have to finish the polish on the new Bento to come, I have installed now a sid into Debian stable into a directory to build packages into it, I have to rework the files I used before, because my mentor had sent me a mail with a list of things to improve.  Some more docs to read in detail also. (Then more to do, open bug reports for ITP : intent To Package, then see if my mentor still has any time, because he just moved to the other side of the planet... ). Anyhow the next packages will be built for sid, so unless something does not work anymore with the ones available now, I won't touch them.

« Modifié: 31 octobre 2013 à 02:31:11 par mélodie »