Questions En > Help requests

Village RC1 and Firefox

(1/3) > >>

patrick013:
Hi,

One question.   Being a Firefox addict I installed it but the download window
remains blank thru downloads, etc..    Any idea the cause ?    Only little problem
with Village RC1 so far.    Runs a lot better than a few other things I've tried
lately.   Always like distros with WICD.

One other question, If I remaster the program is there an option to run it
completely in RAM as an ISO ?

Runs like a pretty stable program on my machine.

THX

Patrick

Taco.22:
Was that Firefox or the Debian Iceweasel?

Regarding loading into RAM I'm chasing that up now.  Whilst you're waiting maybe you'd like to try Village_RC2  ;)

melodie:

--- Citation de: Taco.22 le 24 janvier 2013 à 05:26:27 ---Was that Firefox or the Debian Iceweasel?

Regarding loading into RAM I'm chasing that up now.  Whilst you're waiting maybe you'd like to try Village_RC2  ;)

--- Fin de citation ---

Hi,

Do you access the "isolinux" directory which will be included in your iso ? If yes, you should add the entry in the txt.cfg file - check in it to be sure the boot entries are there, nowadays they should be there instead of isolinux.cfg as it used to be. (See in a distro where "to ram" is implemented, such as Parted Magic, and adapt accordingly, then you will have to test to see if nothing else is needed... it might also need something in the initrd, but if so I don't know what).

Taco.22:
OK, here is the lowdown on how to load your live cd (I use the term cd to also include  usb device) direct from fragadelic himself.

First up, make sure you have enough ram!!  Now boot from your cd.  At grub hit the "tab" key to edit.  Add "toram" at the end of the line and hit return.  Then wait for the usual process to go ahead.  To test if it all worked go to your FM and eject the cd.  The system should continue to run.  It works on my P4 with 1gb of ram and running Village_RC2 - 414mb compressed.

To remaster with this parameter edit in "toram" to /etc/remastersys/isolinux/live.cfg as below.

--- Citer ---label live
   menu label Live
   kernel /live/vmlinuz
   append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live config toram quiet splash

label livefailsafe
   menu label Live (failsafe)
   kernel /live/vmlinuz
   append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live config noapic noapm nodma nomce nolapic pci=nomsi nomodeset radeon.modeset=0 nouveau.modeset=0 nosmp vga=normal

label memtest
   menu label memtest - Run memtest
   kernel /isolinux/memtest.bin
   append -

label hd
   menu label hd - boot the first hard disk
   localboot 0x80
   append -
--- Fin de citation ---

Then remaster.  You new spin should automatically load to ram and allow you to remove your cd.  Everything should work faster, especially if you are running a cd and not a usb device. 

melodie:
There are a handful of things I would need you to clarify, most of them being because I'm not fully fluent in English.

--- Citer ---OK, here is the lowdown on how to load your live cd
--- Fin de citation ---

What is "lowdown" ?

--- Citer ---(I use the term cd to also include  usb device)
--- Fin de citation ---

Do you mean the console in the Live CD ? And what do you refer to in relation with the USB device ?

(sorry... I'd really like to understand fully)

--- Citer ---At grub hit the "tab" key to edit.  Add "toram" at the end of the line and hit return.
--- Fin de citation ---

--- Citer ---...
--- Fin de citation ---

--- Citer ---To remaster with this parameter edit in "toram" to /usr/remastersys/isolinux/live.cfg as below
--- Fin de citation ---

So, you don't edit grub boot line do you ? Is it Grub you are talking about, or isolinux ? ^_o

--- Citer ---label live
   menu label Live
   kernel /live/vmlinuz
--- Fin de citation ---

I think you could use it to create one more boot entry instead of modifying the default live, which would offer the choice to the user:

--- Citer ---     

label live
         menu label Live
         kernel /live/vmlinuz
         append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live config quiet splash
   label To RAM
         menu label Live to RAM  // or something looking like
         kernel /live/vmlinuz

... // and so on

--- Fin de citation ---

What do you think ?