Questions En > Help requests

xfce4-notifyd and modified script - help!!

(1/3) > >>

Taco.22:
It was a comment ka9yhd made about having a pop-up notification when the network connected that also gave some detail, such as IP and servers etc.  Firing up VillageBox with network-manager-gnome it didn't take me long to track down "notification daemon" from gnome, but then on to "xfce4-notifyd" which is lighter and more OS agnostic.  Once installed it pops up a notification that your network is now up.  It also tells you when it goes down.  So far, so good.

Great, I thought, all I have to do now is find the script it's calling and add some details.  Well that was a few hours ago and I have hit a wall.  Despite a LOT of googling I can find no examples of such a script, even though some distros do run them, nor can I find any examples of modifications to scripts specific to this.   Even ploughing through the Crunchbang archives didn't turn anything up.  I had centered on /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/01ifupdown, but now I'm not even sure if I'm chasing the right file!

The app that makes this all work is notify-send, and xfce4-notifyd is the frontend.  All seemed so simple a few hours ago!  I think my brain needs a rest!!
Any ideas?

melodie:
In Archlinux I have the following packages installed:

--- Citer ---1 core/libevent 2.0.21-2 [installed]
    An event notification library

4 extra/libnotify 0.7.5-1 [installed]
    Desktop notification library

5 extra/startup-notification 0.12-3 [installed]
    Monitor and display application startup

13 community/notification-daemon 0.7.6-2 [installed]
    Notification daemon for the desktop notifications framework

--- Fin de citation ---

and at some time I also had this one:

--- Citer ---14 community/notify-osd 0.9.34-1
    Canonical's on-screen-display notification agent, implementing the freedesktop.org Desktop Notifications Specification with semi-transparent
    click-through bubbles
--- Fin de citation ---

Have you looked what the Debian repositories have and tried a "apt-cache search notification" in the console? I would start with that and read the description of the packages in the list.

Taco.22:
I have libnotify-bin and xfce4-notifyd installed.  I can use notify-send through terminal to pop-up a message via xfce4-notifyd on the desktop, even with delayed timeouts and icons.  I can configure the size, shape and position of the bubbles via xfce4-notifyd through the terminal.  Where I am stumped is that I can't find the script that xfce4-notifyd is displaying for the "network up" pop-up.  I think the file I was focusing on was the wrong one - it may be in the /etc/network scripts.  Despite all the bits of info I have found about notify, I still haven't been able to work out where scripts are stored and how they are called.  Finding this info is like getting blood out of a stone!

mimas:
> Despite all the bits of info I have found about notify, I still haven't been able to work out where scripts are stored and how they are called.  Finding this info is like getting blood out of a stone!

Network-manager-applet doesn't use scripts to display notifications; the calls to the notify deamon are hardcoded.

I have checked in the code source.

melodie:
About notify-osd, I just found two patched packages which seem nice.

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/11/patched-notifyosd-with-close-on-click.html

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/configurable-notifyosd-updated-for.html

I stopped using the popping notifications because I didn't like it when it was hiding a part of the screen on the laptop.

Navigation

[0] Index des messages

[#] Page suivante

Utiliser la version classique