Auteur Sujet: The multi site is ready for publishing  (Lu 9544 fois)

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
The multi site is ready for publishing
« le: 25 juin 2013 à 14:07:23 »
Hi

The last ones who worked on the English side of the linuxvillage.org/en website are slystone for the translation of the "About" page, and pdurbin, who reviewed the text. Thanks to them both!

Due to recent spambot attempts to register, the registration are closed on linuxvillage.org, so if you are willing to publish just ask for a registration and I'll do it from the admin board of the website.

Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

djohnston

• Invité
Re : The multi site is ready for publishing
« Réponse #1 le: 25 juin 2013 à 20:02:41 »
Due to recent spambot attempts to register, the registration are closed on linuxvillage.org, so if you are willing to publish just ask for a registration and I'll do it from the admin board of the website.

Publishing, as in a wiki?

« Modifié: 25 juin 2013 à 21:56:20 par djohnston »

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : Re : The multi site is ready for publishing
« Réponse #2 le: 25 juin 2013 à 22:12:58 »
Publishing, as in a wiki?

It would be more as in a website, where we can do the full presentations or our versions, or even talk about topics we want to talk about (all kinds of topics, as here in the forum, when talking about : security, privacy…).

In Wordpress new categories can be created on the fly when a new article is being written or about to be published, and an article can even belong to several categories, up to the person who writes it. We also have a SEO plugin which offers one more field with title and a summary of the post which is all sent to the main search engines when clicking to publish.

I am sure you have already seen Taco.22's post about the Villagebox version: LinuxVillage Distribution (en).

The post is now installed in the subsite which is all in English including the admin/edition board.

A wiki will also be made available, it's not forgotten, we just want to be sure to have one which will be easy to secure and which will last long.

djohnston

• Invité
Re : Re : Re : The multi site is ready for publishing
« Réponse #3 le: 26 juin 2013 à 00:14:14 »
It would be more as in a website, where we can do the full presentations or our versions, or even talk about topics we want to talk about (all kinds of topics, as here in the forum, when talking about : security, privacy…).

I don't understand the purpose, then. If registrations are closed, then it's not a forum, is it? It's just for advertising respins?

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : Re : Re : Re : The multi site is ready for publishing
« Réponse #4 le: 26 juin 2013 à 02:49:13 »
I don't understand the purpose, then. If registrations are closed, then it's not a forum, is it? It's just for advertising respins?

It is neither a wiki nor a forum.

The forum is here. The website is here: http://linuxvillage.org and the subsite is here: http://linuxvillage.org/en

The purpose is to have a website for the LinuxVillage members who want to post articles. And indeed the presentation of masters is a good idea, as it allows having a fixed place easy to find and to point to for each one.

It is also meant to announce main news whenever desired.

Other types of posts can also be published.

The registrations on the website will be done by asking (here) to register : I can't always go to the databases to remove spambots which don't even appear on the board as it happened a pair of days ago. (Got the notification mail but no new user was in, and then I found the two in the tables of the database).

Have you read the "About" page in the English side?

« Modifié: 26 juin 2013 à 02:52:19 par mélodie »

djohnston

• Invité
Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : The multi site is ready for publishing
« Réponse #5 le: 26 juin 2013 à 06:05:16 »
It is neither a wiki nor a forum.

The purpose is to have a website for the LinuxVillage members who want to post articles. And indeed the presentation of masters is a good idea, as it allows having a fixed place easy to find and to point to for each one.
Do you mean articles like the one on bitcoin?

Have you read the "About" page in the English side?
Yes, I have. I'll summarise:

(a) Our goal is to demystify the use of GNU/Linux and to help you in getting the hang of your operating system.
(b) We also want to promote rolling releases, the ones which don’t need to be reinstalled on a regular basis when new upgrades are available every year or twice a year.
(c) Another goal is to foster a dynamic in contributing to free software: report bugs upstream to developers, get involved in translating, and maybe guide the ones who want to go further and create their own remixed distro when the tools are shipped with to allow it.
(d) To sum up, we want to offer some mutual aid (information, documentation, community services) to beginners as well as to advanced users ...

And, I'm still confused as to the purpose. The description sounds like a wiki. Except, I guess, there's no collaboration. That is, I can't edit Taco.22's content, and he can't edit mine. Right?

Okay, there is no wiki yet. What should be put on the "subsite" that shouldn't be in the forums or in the wiki? The forum already has a section for announcing remasters and sections for help.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #6 le: 26 juin 2013 à 12:18:14 »
I would be very happy to see our different remixes presented on nice posts on the main site. Most distributions have a website, a forum, a wiki and a planet.

There are two persons who are currently creating a new webspace where I have been invited to make our linuxvillage join: we would have some space on their new server, besides the crunchbang-fr community. We will probably start there with a Mediawiki. We were about to start using a Dokuwiki, but I am not frankly decided about it, again because of some spambot problems, and the Dokuwiki community who has no reaction on their forum when I was asking for solutions to a specific spam problem.

At the crunchbang-fr place we will be adding the rss feed from linuxvillage.org to their planet. Each remix presented there will be highlighted.

I know our website as a whole is not well integrated visually, however I think we might benefit of other people's knowledge for that aspect at some time in the future.

And yes, you can talk about bitcoins if you want to. That might fit in categories such as "society, internet, economics", that kind of thing. :)

« Modifié: 26 juin 2013 à 16:09:15 par mélodie »

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
And, I'm still confused as to the purpose. The description sounds like a wiki. Except, I guess, there's no collaboration. That is, I can't edit Taco.22's content, and he can't edit mine. Right?

If you both have enough privilege to do so, you can. If you have privilege to do so AND want the rest of the team to overview your writing before publishing, you can : all it takes is saving the text as a draft, or "to be reviewed" (I don't know yet the exact word in English for that, I have always used Wordpress with an admin board in French so far). Anyhow there are multiple possibilities, the ones I just described being available at the right side of the editor field, with a drop down menu.

« Modifié: 26 juin 2013 à 16:30:19 par mélodie »

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #8 le: 27 juin 2013 à 01:36:57 »
I just remembered keycaptcha exists also for Wordpress. I installed it to linuxvillage website and configured it for the two websites. Registrations are opened again so it might make it easier to have real people participating to it from now on.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #9 le: 27 juin 2013 à 04:11:26 »
I checked the page to register on the sub site in English : it redirects to the French registering page, and it seems I can't to anything to prevent it. I have posted at the French Wordpress forum to try to get help and see if a solution is possible.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #10 le: 27 juin 2013 à 16:24:11 »
Hi,

The login problem is solved, thanks to the help of the Wordpress community, and thanks to a plugin. One more little thing is the theme of the website now matches the main theme of the present forum!

All which is left to be done is creating two custom menus to restore an easy access to the RSS feed links. I'll do that later though.