Projects and resources (En) > Distributions and links to ISO

Elementary OS

<< < (2/6) > >>

Yoshi2889:
I've never had problems with my hardware and OpenSUSE or Fedora either. One thing I don't like of Ubuntu is that it is not optimized for SSDs so the boot process fails at times, hope this changes with 13.04. Elementary seems to handle it better but it freezes quite often afterwards.

Yoshi2889:
Okay, so Elementary locked up almost two minutes after booting for me. Got tired of it, and wiped it from my HDD (I have my data in the cloud anyway), so I'm running Ubuntu 13.04 Beta now, the boot issue persists but it doesn't lock up afterwards.

melodie:
Yoshi2889,

Would you start a new post in the questions section related to the issue you are meeting with ? You could describe fully your hardware (lshw, lspci... ) and bring back the contents of your dmesg and syslog log file from just after boot... If you don't mind trying to get into it, of course.

Slystone:
Sorry for typing in French! And your arguments are quite convincing. I definitely added it to my todo list. :)

Yoshi2889:

--- Citation de: mélodie le 07 avril 2013 à 18:53:02 ---Yoshi2889,

Would you start a new post in the questions section related to the issue you are meeting with ? You could describe fully your hardware (lshw, lspci... ) and bring back the contents of your dmesg and syslog log file from just after boot... If you don't mind trying to get into it, of course.

--- Fin de citation ---
I already know what causes it :P

It's a combination of X, DRM, lightdm and Plymouth.

What happens, is that Plymouth takes DRM control as one of the first steps in boot. But due to the fast nature of SSDs, Plymouth doesn't get to finish its task. Now X wants the control over DRM, before Plymouth has finished its task (so Plymouth still holds the control over the DRM). DRM gets all confused and fed up, then "attempts" to pass over control to X, which fails as Plymouth is still running and holding control. With DRM confused, X thinks it has control, which it has not, as DRM did pass a "Hey you have control now" message in its confusion. With this all, lightdm crashes and therefore it gets stuck on a black screen with a cursor (as X has kind of started) or Low Graphics Mode as DRM gives invalid information about the graphics card along in its confusion.

In layman's terms, the boot process has finished, but the boot splash screen still has to be shown. Everything's going too fast for certain processes.

Good news is that there are people working on this issue, and I hope it'll be solved in 13.04 final.

About the random freezes, nobody knows. Probably worth it to install Elementary again and dump some logs in the teams hands.

Navigation

[0] Index des messages

[#] Page suivante

[*] Page précédente

Utiliser la version classique