Auteur Sujet: For the minimalist  (Lu 3302 fois)

djohnston

• Invité
For the minimalist
« le: 06 avril 2013 à 05:55:16 »
From K.Mandla:

I suppose the secret is out; a desktop image was leaked a week or two ago into the Unix screenshot area of reddit.

That can mean only one thing: Yes, I’ve been answering e-mails and concocting some low-end systems again, for better or for worse.

So yes, I suppose I am … you could say, if you want, maybe, it’s possible, kinda-sorta … back in the game. :shock:

But there’s been a definite sea change. After a year and a half of inactivity, I can’t just suddenly pick up and run.

The best way to handle a transition of this magnitude is to acknowledge the closure, and start again fresh.

So without any further ado, here’s a new page for you to visit: inconsolation.wordpress.com.

That’s meant to be a double- or triple-entendre there. I want the focus to be on software for text-based systems, the kind of software that was a joy to write about here, again and again, for so many years.

Therefore, in the console. (Cheesy, I know, but with the layered meaning that I know geeks will appreciate. :) )

Fewer personal rants, fewer esoteric system settings, and more applications that are useful for embedded, text-only, or very low-end hardware. More of the goodies.

And good grief, I know I still have enough software to skim through. :shock: My hands were full when I shut down this site, and are still full now.

Either way, this is the end of the end — things are starting up again, albeit in a new location. If you can take the time, please stop by and see what new toy I discovered. And tell me about your favourite. I do love a good text-based gizmo. … ;)
For those who may not know, K.Mandla had the blog Motho ke motho ka botho for years. (It means something in Swahili, but I've forgotten what. One of those Ubuntu-type things.) Anyway, if you still don't know what I'm talking about, spend a few minutes ... or hours at his (now archived) old site. Prepare to be amazed. This guy is a minimalist's minimalist. He has done incredible things with what most would long ago have considered "junk" hardware. Like a 150Mhz Pentium with 96MB of RAM.

If I remember correctly, he was once running Crux on a 90Mhz machine. He has sought out and tested more CLI applications for doing everyday things than I ever knew existed. He used primarily Crux and Arch and, occasionally, Ubuntu. (Also, for those who don't know, Crux is one of the few distros where you still have to compile the kernel as part of the installation process. Doing so extracts every ounce of power available from the hardware.) If you're into that kind of thing, or just curious, you should check out his old site. All entries are archived and still available. You might want to check out his new site, too.

« Modifié: 06 avril 2013 à 05:57:17 par djohnston »

Hors ligne mimas

• Général du Roi
  • Membre Complet
  • Jamais content
    • G+
Re : For the minimalist
« Réponse #1 le: 08 avril 2013 à 15:35:36 »
> if I remember correctly, he was once running Crux on a 90Mhz machine. [...]  Crux is one of the few distros where you still have to compile the kernel as part of the installation process

Well, "Motho ke motho ka botho" probably means "Patience, patience, it's still compiling"
When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : Re : For the minimalist
« Réponse #2 le: 08 avril 2013 à 19:04:36 »
Well, "Motho ke motho ka botho" probably means "Patience, patience, it's still compiling"

I just tried to find out in translate.google.com, and translated to English it says it means "Otho Otho ka ke Botho" while in French it would be "Othon Othon ka ke Botho", however in Arabian "أوتو أوتو كا كه ".

Isn't that interesting?

Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

djohnston

• Invité
Re : For the minimalist
« Réponse #3 le: 08 avril 2013 à 22:53:17 »
K. Mandla's tongue in cheek translation is:

The name of this blog, which is probably why you are here, is the Setswana translation of the ubuntu precept, that “a person is a person because of ubuntu.”