Auteur Sujet: Turning point for Linuxvillage and it's forum?  (Lu 44729 fois)

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re: Re : Turning point for Linuxvillage and it's forum?
« Réponse #105 le: 10 février 2016 à 00:11:50 »
Melodie
Recent Messages on Index page:
You need to go into ADMIN

To display 100 recent posts at bottom of index page

Hello,

Nice idea, but 10 is just enough. 100 looked too crowded. :)

What about working a bit more on the theme? The threads have a strange look here. ( 1680x1050     59.95*+ on a 21" screen).

Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

Hors ligne kjdixo

• Membre Junior
Re : Turning point for Linuxvillage and it's forum?
« Réponse #106 le: 10 février 2016 à 00:20:20 »
10 recent messages looks okay.
Yes the theme might need some more work.

I too am viewing with 1680x1050.

Well actually 2 x 1680x1050 vertically stacked one above the other (NVIDIA twin-view).

I need an early night and will be out tomorrow morning . . .  so will look at this again tomorrow evening.
Make a list of things to fix and I will try to fix them.
« Modifié: 10 février 2016 à 00:25:29 par kjdixo »

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #107 le: 10 février 2016 à 00:43:03 »
Hi,

I'm preparing several screenshots, so you can see for yourself. :)

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #108 le: 10 février 2016 à 00:53:40 »
Well, the whole range of buttons at the bottom of the last post is missing (just the texts, but not in buttons). Then, please compare:
http://meets.free.fr/images/forum/forum-look-with-default-theme.png with http://meets.free.fr/images/forum/forum-look-with-tabs-fun.png to see what is missing to make it right (I can help with that, just let's see if we see the same things).

Then please have a look in the admin part: the default theme in the section meant to switch themes: http://meets.free.fr/images/forum/admin-theme-selection-with-default-theme.png and http://meets.free.fr/images/forum/admin-theme-selection-with-tabs-fun-theme.png, and also have a look at that part, on one of your test forums? http://meets.free.fr/images/forum/admin-look-with-default-theme.png

Thank you.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #109 le: 10 février 2016 à 00:54:08 »
PS: that last post above, has a really strange look.  :o

Hors ligne kjdixo

• Membre Junior
« Réponse #110 le: 10 février 2016 à 10:26:42 »
Hi Melodie
Yes there are layout and button differences between the default theme and the tabs-fun "tabs-fun theme" design by KahneFan.
That is why I made 4 test forums for you to test them and be happy with them, before 'taking the plunge' and uploading to your forum.
I also gave you the admin passwords of my test forums so you could thoroughly check of all the admin interfaces first.
The purpose of that was so you could point out to me anything not quite right or changes you wanted implemented.
Also I can only work intensively on the code if it is on my server.
Also it saves the embarrassment of showing the world on your finished forum anything that may not have been sorted out properly.

No worries, I will carry on the development as you wish, on my test forums.
The two most recent test forums are these . . . noted in previous posts on this thread (I emailed you the admin passwords, but maybe you have not logged into them yet).
http://www.kdworld7.net/lxv/
http://www.kdworld7.net/dir/

If you check out the original tabs-fun theme by KahneFan, I think it has some of the unwanted changes too (the breadcrumb trail at the bottom of the page is missing).
I have only worked on KahneFan's modified design tabs-fun . . . under your instructions.

Leave it with me, I am busy today so I will look again this evening.
Thanks for the screen shots.
Please check you can log-in to the admins on my test forums, then we can continue to develop this further.
Thanks

« Modifié: 10 février 2016 à 14:02:38 par kjdixo »

Hors ligne kjdixo

• Membre Junior
« Réponse #111 le: 10 février 2016 à 10:30:50 »
I noticed that another issue is zooming in with the browser, the left hand avatar columns get jumbled with adjacent details of post1 spilling over onto post2 etc.
Maybe it is best if you put the forum back to the default theme and we can continue to sort out all the problems on my test forums as before.
What do you think?

PS the zooming error is the same as you describe ... a strange look and it gets worse when you zoom.
Never noticed that before.
We need to go back to the test forums and try to replicate that.
It might not have been noticed before because nobody with an avatar posted anything on my test forums.
Best to put your forum back to default until we get this fixed.
Thanks.
« Modifié: 10 février 2016 à 10:39:46 par kjdixo »

Hors ligne kjdixo

• Membre Junior
« Réponse #112 le: 10 février 2016 à 14:07:05 »
I think my next task should be to put a breadcrumb trail for navigation at the bottom of the page and tidy that section so it looks good.
I will try that on my test forum.
Then I will try creating some avatars to see whether they disrupt the page layout on my test forum.
One of your posts seems to have shifted everything to the right.
I might be able to fix all this easily and quickly.

UPDATE:
I was able to put another breadcrumb trail at the bottom of the page . . . then my website provider had a power cut and so their servers went down.
I have to wait until they fix the servers.

Also the breadcrumb trail is located within a unique div id and so cannot be repeated unless the new div has another id. eg. linktree and linktree2. If they both have the same div id then it will fail the w3c validation.
It just means I need to change some php in the index.template file within the tabs-fun theme.

Also I might need to look at the technique of 'clearfix' more closely, it is used here, it might have something to do with the layout problems.
« Modifié: 10 février 2016 à 18:36:47 par kjdixo »

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #113 le: 10 février 2016 à 20:19:32 »
Very good! Thanks for your hard work!!!

And no, I'm not about to switch : users can switch in their profile, so there is no real issue regarding their (occasional) use of the forum. I'll just wait for your next shot.

Keep on well!

Hors ligne kjdixo

• Membre Junior
« Réponse #114 le: 12 février 2016 à 19:49:19 »
I made some improvements you can see them here . . . login to admin or user if you have a password.
http://www.kdworld7.net/lxv/

Also I think I fixed the avatar alignment problem.

A stroke of genius . . the first thing I tried when I looked at the avatar alignment problem.
I tried the following code in style.css . . .and it worked . . I couldn't believe it, I was expecting it to be really difficult to solve. Also the answer came into my head, I did not hunt for a solution or try lots of things.

div.post_wrapper{overflow:hidden}
http://kdworld7.net/lxv/index.php?topic=5.0

Looks like it is fixed.

« Modifié: 12 février 2016 à 21:37:23 par kjdixo »

Hors ligne kjdixo

• Membre Junior
« Réponse #115 le: 12 février 2016 à 22:06:58 »
. . . the whole range of buttons at the bottom of the last post is missing (just the texts, but not in buttons).
Those buttons were removed at the beginning of the modifications, when I removed the red and black buttons that were part of the tabs-fun theme.
The style.css originally linked to red and black button images.
I explained at the time what I had done and that the buttons were changed to links.
If you want to have buttons instead, then an easy way would be to put some css styling on the links to make them look prettier and look like buttons. Or use the original method of images, (which do take time to load and also need to be created - maybe by changing the colour of the existing images from red/black to orange/yellow to suit this new look forum).

I will try styling the links with css first of all and if that is not good enough then we can use images.
Personally I thought that the plain hyperlinks were okay, but if you prefer buttons . . . that is fine.

« Modifié: 12 février 2016 à 22:14:39 par kjdixo »

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #116 le: 13 février 2016 à 00:25:43 »
Hello!

If you can do it with CSS, then great! I know it's lighter, and websites and forums should be always as light as it can be.

Thanks!

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : Re : Turning point for Linuxvillage and it's forum?
« Réponse #117 le: 13 février 2016 à 00:27:12 »

Also I think I fixed the avatar alignment problem.

A stroke of genius . . the first thing I tried when I looked at the avatar alignment problem.
I tried the following code in style.css . . .and it worked . . I couldn't believe it, I was expecting it to be really difficult to solve. Also the answer came into my head, I did not hunt for a solution or try lots of things.

div.post_wrapper{overflow:hidden}

Good get!

Looks like it is fixed.

Wonderful, thanks again! When you will have fixed a few more details, maybe can we try to install your next new version. (Not before the week-end that comes after next week, though… in any case)

Hors ligne kjdixo

• Membre Junior
« Réponse #118 le: 05 mars 2016 à 14:23:46 »
I noticed that your forum as it is now, has bad layout problems when I respond to posts, some of the text is missing and hidden. . . I think if I implement the modifications we discussed, then it will be fixed.
It would be a good idea to update the tabs-fun theme to the one I described in my last post on this thread.
I will email you the tabs-fun-extra-tabs folder in a .zip file.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #119 le: 05 mars 2016 à 22:47:13 »
Hi, nice to see you! I'll look forward to your update, thanks. :)