LinuxVillage welcome > Technical discussions

What's new in Linux 3.8

(1/1)

djohnston:
Here's the part I find interesting:

--- Citer ---Linux now supports F2FS (Flash-Friendly File System), a filesystem that was introduced by Samsung developers in October. It is designed for flash storage media that uses a more basic Flash Translation Layer (FTL) than SSDs for desktop PCs and servers – for example USB flash drives, memory cards and the storage media that is used in cameras, tablets and smartphones.

F2FS is a Log-structured File System (LFS) and progressively fills up storage media from the beginning; only once it has reached the end will it return to the beginning and use any areas that may have been deallocated in the meantime. Like Btrfs, F2FS uses Copy-on-Write (COW) to sequentially fill storage devices; this provides a certain robustness. Unlike Btrfs and Ext4, F2FS does not attempt to prevent data fragmentation; very short access times mean that fragmentation is not an issue with flash storage media. The userspace tools for formatting F2FS drives are available at kernel.org.
--- Fin de citation ---

Read the rest here.

patrick013:

--- Citation de: djohnston le 22 février 2013 à 21:57:26 ---Here's the part I find interesting:

Read the rest here.

--- Fin de citation ---

It's nice to know Linux is on top of all the new graphics drivers, Intel HD 4000
included.    Still I think my ext3 plus extent idea is longlasting.   All these new
filesystems and features are going to tax the fsarchiver program a bit. 

Thanks for the news post.

patrick

Navigation

[0] Index des messages

Utiliser la version classique