Auteur Sujet: Are we ready to become a distro?  (Lu 5477 fois)

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
Are we ready to become a distro?
« le: 25 janvier 2013 à 14:42:26 »
I hope that during this year we will find time and energy to setup a dokuwiki in two languages. We have this one which has been setup long ago now, and we could just reuse what we know and the list of plugins, to make one for LinuxVillage (in two languages of course).

I had a look at the linked page and I was wondering if it might be time to start thinking of ourselves as a distro - maybe not in a hugely formal sense, but definitely as a workable and unified platform.  Maybe a bit of both - as a forum for all sorts of experimental and fun stuff, but underpinned with a common project that gives a focus and a purpose.  We are just about there with the core base, and it has already produced three respins. 

Just thought I'd throw this out there for discussion.
What can go wrong !!!

djohnston

• Invité
Re : Are we ready to become a distro?
« Réponse #1 le: 25 janvier 2013 à 21:13:52 »
I had a look at the linked page and I was wondering if it might be time to start thinking of ourselves as a distro - maybe not in a hugely formal sense, but definitely as a workable and unified platform.  Maybe a bit of both - as a forum for all sorts of experimental and fun stuff, but underpinned with a common project that gives a focus and a purpose.  We are just about there with the core base, and it has already produced three respins. 

Just thought I'd throw this out there for discussion.

If we "add value", we should. I believe we do. Semplice is simply a Debian unstable respin using Openbox desktop and python scripts, wherever possible, instead of bash scripts. I have to say I have learned a lot about Openbox from your and Melodie's remasters. I've been studying Semplice simply because of the prevalent use of python scripts. Python offers some advantages over bash.

When it comes to a minimalist's desktop environment, less is more. Hey, if there's a Hanna Montana distro ...

Hors ligne patrick013

• Membre Senior
« Réponse #2 le: 25 janvier 2013 à 21:57:58 »
I think you're doing fine just the way it is.

The work on Scorpio and Village-RC for some reason
is extremely compatible with my machine.    Can't count
how many ISO's I've tried to install and got kernel panics
to just plain lock-ups.    So whatever you people are doing
regarding that just keep doing it.     The Debian repo is
just fine.    Glad it's available for your OpenBox's.

Tempted to uninstall Grub2 and put on Grub Legacy,
I've got 3 pages of instructions on how to do so,    but
I guess it would mess up the install program if I did a
personal remaster to install without Grub2 in it.   Oh well.

Finish the LV-RC  so we can test it throughout,  so far so
good.     Looks like you've got what you wanted.

Have a good day.

Patrick

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #3 le: 25 janvier 2013 à 22:59:16 »
Hi,

I don't say no, but I think it is too early to think putting it that way. I would like to see what the present community becomes within one or two years. If and when many more people join for creating spins, testing, using, then we will walk on a stronger basis. Do you know that we also have a website ? I could make it so that it would be a multiple website with an English side in it (I know how to create multisites with Wordpress). Here is the main site: http://linuxvillage.org

as you can see we haven't wrote much in it yet.

I would like the LinuxVillage community to progress one step at a time, as there is much we can do, provided we will be many more.

I would like to try Remastersys on antiX : as it was lacking a good installer, nicer and so on... for a all openbox version... I would like to work again on Ubuntu Openbox projects. btw I have an idea for a name : simply VillageBox Ubuntu Remix : what do you think ?

And I have to work on the package openbox-menu for Debian (I have to work on the new build, the new openbox-menu version, and more... ). I also need lots of time for the real life, and I'm waiting for someone with whom I talked about the Ubuntu Openbox project and who said he will work on a build script for Ubuntu Openbox. (I should probably try to make it with Remastersys, but I'm not ready for that now... would like something built from a chroot).

A LinuxVillage dédicated project why not, but not right now. And we would have to think about what the link would be really ? It makes me think that more the LinuxVillage will be opened to all kinds of goals and projects related to Free software and Free topics (Free music, arts... ), help...  the best it will be to develop and keep a high interest in this sort of community.

What do you think ?

Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

Hors ligne patrick013

• Membre Senior
Re : Re : Are we ready to become a distro?
« Réponse #4 le: 25 janvier 2013 à 23:18:05 »
I would like to try Remastersys on antiX

I'm about one step away from a unetbootin install of antiX, can add software, remaster, add
root persistence, and keep it on the same  flash drive, and keep it frugal.    I did a full install
and my flash drive went crazy, not "lean" enough for that.    Frugal is their preferred method
I'm told.   Perhaps on a full HD it would work OK.     In other words, if anything doesn't work
they just say "go frugal"   with antiX.    Very flexible and full use of unetbootin it looks like.

regards,

patrick 

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #5 le: 26 janvier 2013 à 00:33:52 »
Hi,
Unetbootin is for installing to usb drive. Remasterys is meant to remaster from an installed distribution and provides an installer for the ISO. This is what might make it interesting for antiX which lacks a sophisticated installer. (Mount and copy files to a mounted partition : this is what it does mainly, and last time I installed one to a hard drive it has messed up the entries for all the other distributions installed: I'm not ready to try that method again).

djohnston

• Invité
Re : Re : Are we ready to become a distro?
« Réponse #6 le: 26 janvier 2013 à 04:27:30 »
Do you know that we also have a website ? I could make it so that it would be a multiple website with an English side in it (I know how to create multisites with Wordpress). Here is the main site: http://linuxvillage.org

That would be great. No hurry, as long as you can have it done by tomorrow.  :D  ;D

I would like the LinuxVillage community to progress one step at a time, as there is much we can do, provided we will be many more.

I would like to try Remastersys on antiX : as it was lacking a good installer, nicer and so on...

(1) I don't think Taco.22's in any hurry. I know I'm not.

(2) I had problems with Remastersys on antiX. Maybe you'll have better luck. As long as you get it done by tomorrow ...   :D  ;D

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
Re : Re : Re : Are we ready to become a distro?
« Réponse #7 le: 26 janvier 2013 à 04:39:42 »
(1) I don't think Taco.22's in any hurry. I know I'm not.
Nah, no great hurry - just had my eye on the Top Ten on Distrowatch ...  :D :D
What can go wrong !!!

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #8 le: 26 janvier 2013 à 22:46:16 »
Tomorrow is another day. The barber says "tomorrow we shave for free".  8) ;D