Auteur Sujet: ZRAM Might Finally Be Moved Out Of Linux Staging  (Lu 2899 fois)

djohnston

• Invité
ZRAM Might Finally Be Moved Out Of Linux Staging
« le: 15 août 2013 à 19:05:27 »
Posted by Michael Larabel on August 14, 2013

The zRAM Linux kernel module that aims to increase Linux's performance by avoiding paging to disk and optimizing to use a compressed block device in RAM, may finally leave the Linux kernel staging area and be promoted to main. This code that mostly benefits users with limited amounts of system RAM has become quite mature and is becoming widely adopted, which in part is why it's trying to be promoted out of the staging area.

Minchan Kim sent in this morning another kernel patch-set for zram/zsmalloc promotion. The proposal is to move zRAM from the Linux kernel's driver/staging area to driver/blocks. The reasoning to move zRAM out of staging is that it's been there for "a LONG LONG time", it's considered stable, and zRAM is now getting lots of production use.

Minchan notes that major TV companies have been using zRAM for their compressed swap over the past two years, Android smart-phones are beginning to use zRAM for their swap, CyanogenMod is using zRAM, and Google is enabling zRAM for ChromeOS. Some lightweight-focused Linux distributions like Lubuntu are also beginning to turn on zRAM for either their swap support or as a block device for tmpfs.

Aside from systems with limited memory capacities, zRAM is also sought after for avoiding writes to disks (particularly SSDs) and providing a better interactive experience. More benefits of zRAM as trumpeted by its developers can be found by this kernel patch.

Promoting zRAM could happen for the Linux 3.12 kernel if other kernel developers agree.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : ZRAM Might Finally Be Moved Out Of Linux Staging
« Réponse #1 le: 19 août 2013 à 01:31:25 »
This is a very good news. I am in a wonder since in Archlinux recently zram is the subject of some I/O errors during the boot, but nothing bad as it has no effect once the session started. The system is very stable and the block devices are created.

I will try to follow also how it goes at the Lubuntu testing as zram is going to be part of the next version.

Thanks for this news (I wanted to reply to earlier).

Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.