Auteur Sujet: [Mageia 3] reboot after install fail in Virtualbox  (Lu 6859 fois)

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
[Mageia 3] reboot after install fail in Virtualbox
« le: 05 juillet 2013 à 03:33:34 »
Hi,
I installed from the version http://www.mageia.org/en/downloads/

CD    700MB    dualarch    dualarch

but after the reboot, surprise! "FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted.".

I thought I knew howto install a distro in vbox. Apparently not this time! :D

My Virtualbox version is 4.2.14. If any of you wants to give it a try and tell me what you find? :)

Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

djohnston

• Invité
Re : [Mageia 3] reboot after install fail in Virtualbox
« Réponse #1 le: 05 juillet 2013 à 03:46:38 »
Gimme a while. I'm downloading that iso. I've been running Mageia3 in VBox since beta1 version. Still have that iso I installed from. It has been constantly updated to the (current) stable version.

djohnston

• Invité
« Réponse #2 le: 05 juillet 2013 à 04:23:11 »
Hi,
I installed from the version http://www.mageia.org/en/downloads/

but after the reboot, surprise! "FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted.".

I thought I knew howto install a distro in vbox. Apparently not this time! :D

My Virtualbox version is 4.2.14. If any of you wants to give it a try and tell me what you find? :)
Without more to go on, have no idea where you went wrong. I just installed the non-PAE version from the iso you listed and the installation went fine.

Don't know why they put a trashcan icon on the desktop that has no option to empty it. Anyway, try booting your installation from the same CD again and choose Rescue System option. Sounds like maybe GRUB wasn't installed where you wanted it. I installed to the MBR (/dev/sda).

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #3 le: 05 juillet 2013 à 13:50:31 »
I don't know where I went wrong either this is why I could not provide more information. However you just said about a non pae version and I didn't see this choice while installing. I will restart anew and look what I can find at the start.

Thank you!

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #4 le: 05 juillet 2013 à 13:54:20 »
I don't get a choice for a specific kernel... I had not enabled the network last time. Finally after the configuration window my mouse has two cursors and I can't click to next. Las time I had used tab to solve this, but this time I can't even do that. I might need to try it in another distribution with a different version of Virtualbox?

« Modifié: 05 juillet 2013 à 14:21:46 par mélodie »

djohnston

• Invité
« Réponse #5 le: 05 juillet 2013 à 20:27:15 »
Mel,

I didn't have a choice of kernel, either. What I meant by non-PAE was that I set the VM up that way. Maybe it would be easier if I just detail the steps.

(a) Create the VM.
(b) In the System section, Motherboard tab, disable all the extended features, especially the absolute pointing device.

(c) In the System section, Processor tab, I unchecked Enable PAE/NX. I only assigned 512MB of RAM, so I don't need PAE.

(d) Display section, Video tab, I assigned 64MB of video RAM. You can probably get by with 32MB.

(e) In the Storage section, I assigned 12GB for the HD size. (8GB is the default.) If you use a dynamically sized HD (the default), the size will only be as large as is needed, anyway.

(f) Network is attached to network address translation.

That's about it. I booted from the iso, chose locale and keyboard, and chose to install updates during the installation. At the end, where all your choices of timezone, bootloader, screen size, etc. are shown, check them if you have any doubts.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #6 le: 05 juillet 2013 à 21:15:34 »
Hi,

Thanks, I will check it all again next time. I should probably check the md5sum too. :)

Edit: there are a few things I changed while looking at your mini tutorial. I unchecked "all the extended features, especially the absolute pointing device." 2 of them in fact, utc...

Video memory, I did same as you (I never touch this usually). PAE was not on by default. I have checked md5sum and sha1sum, all is ok for this one.

« Modifié: 06 juillet 2013 à 01:44:04 par mélodie »