Auteur Sujet: To whom it may concern  (Lu 18587 fois)

djohnston

• Invité
To whom it may concern
« le: 15 juin 2013 à 19:55:25 »
I've noticed a dramatic improvement in the overall responsiveness of the forum in the last 3 days. To whomever made this happen, thank you very much!  :-*

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : To whom it may concern
« Réponse #1 le: 15 juin 2013 à 21:33:23 »
You see me very happy about it. Maybe should I have again a look into the stats of the forum (in relation with the origin of the hits).

Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

djohnston

• Invité
Re : Re : To whom it may concern
« Réponse #2 le: 18 juin 2013 à 07:48:24 »
I am still seeing error messages:

Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.

See if it happens with more than one browser. Just sayin' it could be browser related. I don't know.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : Re : Re : To whom it may concern
« Réponse #3 le: 18 juin 2013 à 11:38:49 »
See if it happens with more than one browser. Just sayin' it could be browser related. I don't know.

I just reset my Firefox browser yesterday : after several years running with the same files, it was doing really weird things. I didn't want to loose the history password stocked bookmarks and so on, and I found an option in the "Help" menu of the browser which allows doing a "Health checkup" of the browser, and from there I have been suggest to follow a procedure to reset it without loosing all items. Tried it after a backup of the firefox directory (just in case).  It has also stored a backup during the procedure : the directory in on my Desktop.

I will see within a few days if that makes it work better…

djohnston

• Invité
« Réponse #4 le: 18 juin 2013 à 15:50:09 »
I didn't want to loose the history password stocked bookmarks and so on,

I regularly backup my bookmarks using Firefox's builtin tools. I also regularly backup all my passwords using the Password Exporter addon. They can later be easily imported, just like my bookmarks.

As for the rest, I always dump history, cookies, local files, etc. on exit from Firefox.

Hors ligne patrick013

• Membre Senior
« Réponse #5 le: 18 juin 2013 à 20:29:29 »
@dj

I know you don't like the LinuxMint repo, but,  I am currently
running Firefox 20.0 from the LinuxMint deb repo I previously
posted on Wheezy and I have nothing remarkable, good
or bad,  to report performance wise with that Firefox package.

The other night I was looking at http://www.tvguide.com/Listings/
and my CPU usage held at 40 %, but I closed the tab and reentered
that website and the CPU usage returned to normal.   Usually
about 3 % to 15 %   with several tabs open and switching between
tabs.   Probably a temp loading problem with that website.    Looks
OK then.    Probably won't upgrade Firefox on Wheezy for quite some
time then.

FYI

Patrick

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #6 le: 18 juin 2013 à 20:33:01 »
As for the rest, I always dump history, cookies, local files, etc. on exit from Firefox.

I like to keep the history for long times. I am interested about the backup plugins you mentioned and I wonder if anyone of the like exists to backup history as well?

Hors ligne patrick013

• Membre Senior
« Réponse #7 le: 18 juin 2013 à 22:39:53 »
I usually set bleachbit and Firefox to keep URL history only.

Weird themes and personas can stall performance.

Otherwise, most add-ons don't affect performance
on my machine.

Is that the point ?

djohnston

• Invité
« Réponse #8 le: 19 juin 2013 à 13:50:31 »
@dj

I know you don't like the LinuxMint repo, but,  I am currently running Firefox 20.0 from the LinuxMint deb repo I previously posted on Wheezy and I have nothing remarkable, good
or bad,  to report performance wise with that Firefox package.
Just for the record, I have nothing against Mint's repo. Or Ubuntu's, for that matter. What I have a problem with is how they use sudo. LMDE is Mint's best edition, IMHO.

And, I don't use anyone's Firefox package any more. After discovering how easy it is to get and to run, I run Firefox straight from the horse's mouth. Current version is 21.0, which is what I'm running.

The other night I was looking at http://www.tvguide.com/Listings/ and my CPU usage held at 40 %, but I closed the tab and reentered that website and the CPU usage returned to normal.   Usually about 3 % to 15 %   with several tabs open and switching between tabs.   Probably a temp loading problem with that website.    Looks
OK then.    Probably won't upgrade Firefox on Wheezy for quite some time then.

FYI

Patrick
Yes, maybe a temporary loading problem. Or something else. A short story. Before I started using NoScript on every installation of Firefox, I encountered a website linked to from an LXer article. When I loaded the page, both cores of my CPU hit 100% and stayed there. After looking at the page's source, I saw why. They were using my CPU to data mine bitcoins. Without divulging that fact. I called them on it, and the guy said, "Yeah, we're doing that, but we won't do it any more." Hmmm.

Here's the down and dirty: Turn your website into a Bitcoin Miner and Bitcoin Miner for Websites. The ethical thing to do is to inform visitors. But, not everyone is ethical.

djohnston

• Invité
« Réponse #9 le: 19 juin 2013 à 13:56:24 »
I like to keep the history for long times. I am interested about the backup plugins you mentioned and I wonder if anyone of the like exists to backup history as well?

There is the History Export addon which backs up history. You may not want that particular one, so go to the addons page, and enter "backup history" or "history backup".

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #10 le: 19 juin 2013 à 15:15:49 »
Hi,

djohnston, I'm going to explore your links, thank you. About bitcoin data mining I would like to ask you to create a new thread, I think the topic is very interesting to talk about and to also to spread the information. Could you perhaps start a thread in the technical discussions area?

djohnston

• Invité
Re : Re : Re : Re : To whom it may concern
« Réponse #11 le: 19 juin 2013 à 15:45:21 »
This happened with a fresh install of Scorpio which has Chromium.

I don't know much about Chromium. Nor can I guess what may be causing your disconnection problems. If it were me, I'd try more than one other browser to see if the same thing happens.

djohnston

• Invité
« Réponse #12 le: 19 juin 2013 à 15:49:58 »
About bitcoin data mining I would like to ask you to create a new thread, I think the topic is very interesting to talk about and to also to spread the information. Could you perhaps start a thread in the technical discussions area?

I think that should be up to someone who can do it "justice". I don't believe bitcoin is a viable currency, regardless of its privacy implications. I cannot see how currency that is "created" as a result of solving a computer algorithm has any real intrinsic worth. And, there are problems with what it actually is (digital bits), how it is stored and its transaction mechanisms.

In other words, I would never mine bitcoins or use them.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #13 le: 19 juin 2013 à 16:37:57 »
I think that should be up to someone who can do it "justice". I don't believe bitcoin is a viable currency, regardless of its privacy implications. I cannot see how currency that is "created" as a result of solving a computer algorithm has any real intrinsic worth. And, there are problems with what it actually is (digital bits), how it is stored and its transaction mechanisms.

In other words, I would never mine bitcoins or use them.

I don't talk about doing it "justice" but about the facts around it such as the one you have met with. Can you port the discussion to a dedicated thread ? I would point to it on the channels where I go also.

djohnston

• Invité
Re : Re : Re : Re : To whom it may concern
« Réponse #14 le: 19 juin 2013 à 22:33:13 »
I don't talk about doing it "justice" but about the facts around it such as the one you have met with. Can you port the discussion to a dedicated thread ? I would point to it on the channels where I go also.
You asked for it. It's not pretty.