Auteur Sujet: JWM  (Lu 7968 fois)

djohnston

• Invité
JWM
« le: 07 juin 2013 à 01:21:00 »
In the quest for building a respin based on Debian that uses as little memory and resources as possible, while still providing a flexible and good-looking GUI, I have decided on using JWM (Joe's Window Manager). It is the common denominator in low-resource distros such as DamnSmallLinux and PuppyLinux. AntiX also has JWM as a desktop choice.

I have some issues with DamnSmallLinux. The installer only allows you to create the default username of "dsl". Granted, once the installation is completed, you can manually create another user and copy dsl's default settings to the new user's home directory. The installer also does not allow a full standard installation to hard drive. What you get is a copy of the iso, running as a loop-mounted image on the hard drive. You can use persistence to save user changes, but there is a limit as to what system changes will be saved. The worst part is the software that is installed.

(1) The 2.4.xxx Linux kernel is used. There is no option to upgrade. I have asked on the forum whether there were any plans to upgrade to a newer kernel. The response was no response at all. (2) The standard GNU tool chain (GCC, make, etc.) is not used. There is an option to upgrade the toolchain, but it breaks several aspects of the installation. (I have tried it.)

I have some issues with Puppy Linux. The first is the same as DSL. You are limited by the installer to the "puppy" account. Again, you can create another user account and copy the user puppy's configuration settings to the new user's home directory. Unlike DSL, you can do a full hard drive installation. There is also the "frugal" hard drive installation which mirrors DSL's type. The iso is copied to the hard drive and mounted at boot time as a loop image. Persistence is used to save user changes. The main problem I have with Puppy is that the user account(s) are running with root privileges. In my opinion, you may as well be logging in as user root. Rebuttals to this argument are often that Puppy is meant to be run as a live CD. In that case, there should be no hard drive installation option with full root user privileges. It is also a fallacy to say that the live CD is protected from potential abuse when (a) read/write CDs can be used effectively and (b) persistent changes can be saved to a hard drive/USB partition.

I have no issues with AntiX. It is a very-well produced distro with excellent custom-built utilities specific to use in the AntiX runtime environment. However, it offers several desktop environments all in one package. And, I am aiming for just one DE, JWM.

So far, I'm in the preliminary steps of learning JWM's working environment and creating the respin. I intend to donate this to the Linux Village "pool" as a distro for older computers with limited hardware and resources. It is pure Debian and, so far, has no packages or tools from any other repositories or distros. Wherever possible, I will use the leanest and meanest application for the job. (Midori for web browsing, etcetera.)

I am asking for your help in naming it. I named it VSLV for VerySmallLinuxVillage. That may not be fitting or appropriate. Do you have suggestions for the name or the applications to be included? The current desktop configuration is shown below.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : JWM
« Réponse #1 le: 07 juin 2013 à 02:38:35 »
I would suggest Antix Village Remix, if you don't dislike it, if anticapitalista agrees, and if it is a good idea to point to his production.

Else, it could be something such as Hummingbird Village

or

or…

dinosaur computer savior?

:)

PS: the last idea seems not too far, as there is a laaarge broken egg on the desktop, nearby entire planets.

« Modifié: 07 juin 2013 à 02:41:04 par mélodie »
Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

djohnston

• Invité
« Réponse #2 le: 07 juin 2013 à 04:20:35 »
Thanks, Mel. AntiX may or may not come into the picture, depending on whether I use any of anticapitalista's custom tools or not. The large egg represents the sun in our solar system. I'm curious about the middle picture. It looks like ragweed against a backdrop of the moon.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #3 le: 07 juin 2013 à 05:06:24 »
Sun, eggs... Not quite sure there.  8)

djohnston

• Invité
Re : Re : JWM
« Réponse #4 le: 07 juin 2013 à 05:47:14 »
Sun, eggs... Not quite sure there.  8)

The yellow yolk of the egg is meant to represent the sun, with the planets around it. Maybe the sun "hatched" from the primordial plasma of the cosmos?

I'm curious about the middle picture. It looks like ragweed against a backdrop of the moon.

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
« Réponse #5 le: 07 juin 2013 à 07:51:24 »
I like the egg image - cool.  I don't think the name needs to reflect Antix (not the only one to use JWM)  Maybe Village Bantam - ties in with the egg theme!
« Modifié: 07 juin 2013 à 10:18:39 par Taco.22 »
What can go wrong !!!

Hors ligne mimas

• Général du Roi
  • Membre Complet
  • Jamais content
    • G+
Re : Re : Re : JWM
« Réponse #6 le: 07 juin 2013 à 09:57:49 »
Maybe the sun "hatched" from the primordial plasma of the cosmos?
Or by the Cosmic Hen which have originated the planets and had eaten space worms, leaving only their holes. It makes sense now.
« Modifié: 07 juin 2013 à 10:16:45 par mimas »
When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives.

djohnston

• Invité
Re : Re : JWM
« Réponse #7 le: 07 juin 2013 à 14:01:05 »
Maybe Village Bantam - ties in with the egg theme!

I like that. That sounds better than the one I chose because Very Small Linux Village makes it sound like the Village is small. Well, just sayin'.

It takes a village ...  :-\  ::)

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : Re : Re : Re : JWM
« Réponse #8 le: 07 juin 2013 à 15:27:38 »
Or by the Cosmic Hen which have originated the planets and had eaten space worms, leaving only their holes. It makes sense now.

ROTFL!