Auteur Sujet: Hello again!  (Lu 8263 fois)

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
Hello again!
« le: 18 janvier 2013 à 04:24:56 »
Hi all,

Well here we all are again, and here is an update of my life story!

I have been using Linux for five years.  Prior to that I was into Macs for the better part of ten years, and still dabble with them.  In fact my first Linux experience was putting Ubuntu 6.06 onto a B&W G3 Mac!  I had never used Windows until AFTER I started using Linux, and to this day have never had a Windows installation.  Never needed it. 

I started Linux with Ubuntu, then moved to PCLinuxOS where I stayed until recently.  Thanks to Melodie and her Bonsai spin, I use Openbox exclusively and did a remaster for Astronomy users.  Unfortunately due to events at PCLinuxOS that had to be shelved until recently, and everything there came to an end.  That led to a short time in the Wilderness where I tried just everything about out there.  I like Crunchbang - it's been running on my wife's computer for close to two years and has proven to be bullet-proof.  The support is excellent as well. 

It was a natural to accept melodie's invitation to join the Village forum and there I really got to learn the ways of Debian after trying out all sorts of other systems.  Remastersys also came of age at this point, so knocking out remasters was suddenly as easy as it had been with PCLOS.  I now have a number of spins under my belt, including what is hopefully a successful base for the community to use as its own.   

Now we have a new and shiny village, and I look forward to supporting anything that will improve and promote Linux in general and Openbox in particular.

Taco.22
What can go wrong !!!

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : Hello again!
« Réponse #1 le: 19 janvier 2013 à 01:23:30 »
Welcome to New LinuxVillage Taco.22!

Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

djohnston

• Invité
« Réponse #2 le: 19 janvier 2013 à 04:35:08 »
Welcome, Sombrero!

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
« Réponse #3 le: 21 janvier 2013 à 00:54:57 »
It's all starting to feel like "Groundhog Day"  :D

I'm doing fine, especially now that I am up to my neck in networking!!
What can go wrong !!!

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
« Réponse #4 le: 21 février 2013 à 08:43:09 »
Just do not hang yourself with the wires :D

Yeah, gotta start playing with them new fangled wireless thingies - less to get tangled with  :o
What can go wrong !!!

Hors ligne mimas

• Général du Roi
  • Membre Complet
  • Jamais content
    • G+
« Réponse #5 le: 17 mars 2013 à 09:13:27 »
Hello again!

I've been busy boring myself with electronic training for the last months and didn't take time to show up in this new forum. It's done, I posted something!
When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives.

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
Re : Re : Hello again!
« Réponse #6 le: 17 mars 2013 à 10:46:43 »
Hello again!

I've been busy boring myself with electronic training for the last months and didn't take time to show up in this new forum. It's done, I posted something!
And about time too !!!

Welcome to the Village  :D
« Modifié: 17 mars 2013 à 10:48:30 par Taco.22 »
What can go wrong !!!

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #7 le: 20 mars 2013 à 02:43:03 »
He comes back mimas ! :)

Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

Hors ligne mimas

• Général du Roi
  • Membre Complet
  • Jamais content
    • G+
« Réponse #8 le: 20 mars 2013 à 10:20:45 »
I'm currently a trainee in an electronic company, working... trying to work with a computer under Windows.

I'm fed up ; the antivirus and the update of the antivirus databases leave me a little CPU power. How can people work like this ?
When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives.

Hors ligne mimas

• Général du Roi
  • Membre Complet
  • Jamais content
    • G+
« Réponse #9 le: 23 mars 2013 à 13:37:04 »
> What did you do to someone to deserve this treatment?

I don't know what I have done, or not done. :p

People around me don't feel it this way; it's very common to reboot or wait because of an update. Once, someone had to leave the office in order to visit a client. He was late and had to wait for Windows 7 to finishe the update (the one's taking long time when the computer is halting). Another time, we had the surprise to see the computers to restart during lunch break: a silent major security update.

It's fun... afterward.

> Welcome

Thanks. I'm pleased to see you all again. :)

« Modifié: 23 mars 2013 à 13:38:37 par mimas »

djohnston

• Invité
Re : Re : Hello again!
« Réponse #10 le: 23 mars 2013 à 20:13:57 »
People around me don't feel it this way; it's very common to reboot or wait because of an update.

People tolerate it because:

(1) They don't know there is a better way.
(2) They are afraid of change.
(3) They don't value their time.