Auteur Sujet: Elementary OS  (Lu 16417 fois)

Hors ligne Yoshi2889

• Néophyte
Elementary OS
« le: 01 avril 2013 à 21:30:58 »

At first I didn't believe in love at first sight for a distro, but this is a really awesome distro. What do you think? :)
It's still a beta, I know, but it works better and is more stable than Ubuntu on my laptop (Ubuntu doesn't like my SSD).

For me, the distro has a lot of potential, because of its good looking UI and features not many distros have. It runs everything Ubuntu does, even has the same commands because it is Ubuntu-based. What really got me to use it was the UI combined with the speed and stability.

I even have a live USB stick which has Elementary on it, so I can take my favorite OS to school and use it there.
Intel Core i5 2450M / Intel HD Graphics 3000 / 8 GB RAM / 256 GB Samsung 830 SSD / Fuduntu 2013.2

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : Elementary OS
« Réponse #1 le: 01 avril 2013 à 22:10:14 »
I think this is one to be followed...

Thanks for sharing. :)
Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

Hors ligne Slystone

• Néophyte
    • Slystone's blog
« Réponse #2 le: 01 avril 2013 à 22:23:01 »

At first I didn't believe in love at first sight for a distro, but this is a really awesome distro. What do you think? :)
It's still a beta, I know, but it works better and is more stable than Ubuntu on my laptop (Ubuntu doesn't like my SSD).

Yoshi2889 : peut-être est-ce que tu pourrais nous donner ton avis personnel en nous disant pourquoi en particulier tu aimes cette distro ?
« Rigid, the skeleton of habit alone upholds the human frame. » - Virginia Woolf.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #3 le: 01 avril 2013 à 23:45:23 »
Je vois un immense trou dans le post ci-dessus...

bizarre...

PS: je crois que ça vient de Firefox et peut-être de Adblock bien qu'il ne soit pas activé pour le forum linuxvillage...

« Modifié: 01 avril 2013 à 23:48:03 par mélodie »

Hors ligne Yoshi2889

• Néophyte
« Réponse #4 le: 02 avril 2013 à 15:33:03 »
Sorry, I don't speak French very well, but what I understood from the above question is that I forgot to explain why I like the distro. Adding it as we speak :)
Intel Core i5 2450M / Intel HD Graphics 3000 / 8 GB RAM / 256 GB Samsung 830 SSD / Fuduntu 2013.2

Hors ligne Yoshi2889

• Néophyte
« Réponse #5 le: 03 avril 2013 à 16:03:22 »
I've never had problems with my hardware and OpenSUSE or Fedora either. One thing I don't like of Ubuntu is that it is not optimized for SSDs so the boot process fails at times, hope this changes with 13.04. Elementary seems to handle it better but it freezes quite often afterwards.

Hors ligne Yoshi2889

• Néophyte
« Réponse #6 le: 07 avril 2013 à 15:41:46 »
Okay, so Elementary locked up almost two minutes after booting for me. Got tired of it, and wiped it from my HDD (I have my data in the cloud anyway), so I'm running Ubuntu 13.04 Beta now, the boot issue persists but it doesn't lock up afterwards.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #7 le: 07 avril 2013 à 18:53:02 »
Yoshi2889,

Would you start a new post in the questions section related to the issue you are meeting with ? You could describe fully your hardware (lshw, lspci... ) and bring back the contents of your dmesg and syslog log file from just after boot... If you don't mind trying to get into it, of course.

Hors ligne Slystone

• Néophyte
    • Slystone's blog
« Réponse #8 le: 08 avril 2013 à 00:14:24 »
Sorry for typing in French! And your arguments are quite convincing. I definitely added it to my todo list. :)
« Rigid, the skeleton of habit alone upholds the human frame. » - Virginia Woolf.

Hors ligne Yoshi2889

• Néophyte
Re : Re : Elementary OS
« Réponse #9 le: 09 avril 2013 à 19:39:15 »
Yoshi2889,

Would you start a new post in the questions section related to the issue you are meeting with ? You could describe fully your hardware (lshw, lspci... ) and bring back the contents of your dmesg and syslog log file from just after boot... If you don't mind trying to get into it, of course.
I already know what causes it :P

It's a combination of X, DRM, lightdm and Plymouth.

What happens, is that Plymouth takes DRM control as one of the first steps in boot. But due to the fast nature of SSDs, Plymouth doesn't get to finish its task. Now X wants the control over DRM, before Plymouth has finished its task (so Plymouth still holds the control over the DRM). DRM gets all confused and fed up, then "attempts" to pass over control to X, which fails as Plymouth is still running and holding control. With DRM confused, X thinks it has control, which it has not, as DRM did pass a "Hey you have control now" message in its confusion. With this all, lightdm crashes and therefore it gets stuck on a black screen with a cursor (as X has kind of started) or Low Graphics Mode as DRM gives invalid information about the graphics card along in its confusion.

In layman's terms, the boot process has finished, but the boot splash screen still has to be shown. Everything's going too fast for certain processes.

Good news is that there are people working on this issue, and I hope it'll be solved in 13.04 final.

About the random freezes, nobody knows. Probably worth it to install Elementary again and dump some logs in the teams hands.
« Modifié: 09 avril 2013 à 19:42:30 par Yoshi2889 »

Hors ligne Yoshi2889

• Néophyte
« Réponse #10 le: 20 avril 2013 à 13:32:49 »
Looks like the issue with freezes has been recorded and is being debugged. Great.

I'm going to run Ubuntu until Elementary goes (more) stable, since it's definitely not meant to be run on production systems ATM.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #11 le: 20 avril 2013 à 14:57:56 »
Hi Yoshi,

I wonder if you installed E17 on top of the latest Bento2 mini how that would go ? At PCLinuxOS some time ago a guy had done a version "gtk light" of E17 for which he used the pclinuxos openbox mini I had done with the help of the people there, and it seemed to work well and have some success.
Wouldn't you like to try ?

Hors ligne Yoshi2889

• Néophyte
« Réponse #12 le: 20 avril 2013 à 16:25:21 »
Hi Yoshi,

I wonder if you installed E17 on top of the latest Bento2 mini how that would go ? At PCLinuxOS some time ago a guy had done a version "gtk light" of E17 for which he used the pclinuxos openbox mini I had done with the help of the people there, and it seemed to work well and have some success.
Wouldn't you like to try ?
Thanks for the offer, though I'm not a fan of Enlightment at all :)

I'd rather use the Pantheon desktop of Elementary but since it is highly unstable at the time...

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #13 le: 21 avril 2013 à 01:01:23 »
I don't know why I thought this distro was kind of wrapped around e17. Sorry for the confusion. I just read here, btw:
http://linuxmotion.com/tutorials/73-how-to-install-pantheon-desktop-enviroment-in-ubuntu-12-10

are you saying this desktop shell is not stable ? So what are you using in this OS ? (I don't really know what I missed... )

Hors ligne Yoshi2889

• Néophyte
« Réponse #14 le: 21 avril 2013 à 11:26:07 »
I don't know why I thought this distro was kind of wrapped around e17. Sorry for the confusion. I just read here, btw:
http://linuxmotion.com/tutorials/73-how-to-install-pantheon-desktop-enviroment-in-ubuntu-12-10

are you saying this desktop shell is not stable ? So what are you using in this OS ? (I don't really know what I missed... )
Nah, the OS is kinda unstable. But it's do-able, I just have to use my laptop with a bit more caution :)

The main problems aren't going away with Ubuntu either, only the freezing issue. Ubuntu in addition suffers from random crashes on my laptop.

Only thing I've got to run stable on my laptop are Fedora and OpenSUSE.