Auteur Sujet: Autostart desktop files that don't mess up with other D.E.  (Lu 5234 fois)

Hors ligne mimas

• Général du Roi
  • Membre Complet
  • Jamais content
    • G+
I have installed  Xfce4 over Bento, and things went wrong: tint2 and other Bento autostarted programs prevented xfce4 panel from starting, leaving a not  xfce4 look-a-like desktop on screen.

There are other Desktop Environments –yes, i was told so– and we need to take care of them by adding a line on home-made autostart desktop files. xdg-autostart considers the desktop to be Openbox if no other name is passed on its command line. So adding 'OnlyShowIn=Openbox' in desktop file makes xdg-autostart launches the program only in a Openbox environment and ignore it in another desktop environment.

Examples: I haved added the line in my configuration : https://pikacode.com/FabriceT/desktop-config/files/default/autostart

Note: Openbox doesn't  exist in Freedesktop standard, the only standardized name left for generic desktop environment is Old, I couldn't used it.
« Modifié: 09 juin 2013 à 20:27:10 par mimas »
When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives.

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
Re : Autostart desktop files that don't mess up with other D.E.
« Réponse #1 le: 09 juin 2013 à 14:25:48 »
Citation de: mimas
There are other Desktop Environments –yes, i was told so

Didn't your mother tell you not to talk to strange people  :o ;)
What can go wrong !!!

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : Re : Autostart desktop files that don't mess up with other D.E.
« Réponse #2 le: 09 juin 2013 à 14:30:23 »
Didn't your mother tell you not to talk to strange people  :o ;)

:D :D :D

I can add the NotShowIn lines in the desktop files default provided in the Ubuntu Openbox I deliver. It's not a big deal. :)
Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

Hors ligne mimas

• Général du Roi
  • Membre Complet
  • Jamais content
    • G+
« Réponse #3 le: 09 juin 2013 à 16:19:08 »
I have question about D.E. names. I haved coded a new version of xdg-autostart in Vala and used OPENBOX as DE name. It was Openbox in the C coded version, changed to uppercase since a few minutes.

But, I am asking myself a question. D.E. names are case sensitive. OPENBOX looks like its an acronym and this annoys me a little . What do you think, should we use  OPENBOX or Openbox?

Edit: Openbox has my preference; I have committed the code change. Plus, It's already the default case in the installed version of xdg-autostart.
« Modifié: 09 juin 2013 à 21:13:46 par mimas »
When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #4 le: 09 juin 2013 à 17:07:47 »
It might as well be "openbox" which is what I used as well as other persons in some custom desktop files where we found out it works best with low case. I wonder if you should not ask the question directly on the #openbox chan at OFTC? (The main devs being of there).

Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.