Auteur Sujet: VirtualBox  (Lu 7542 fois)

konaexpress

• Invité
VirtualBox
« le: 18 mars 2013 à 18:55:12 »
Found this article on a blog that tells how to get the shared folders to work in VBox. It worked after a couple of tries at it.  It's always the "your_name_here" part that throws me a bit because I am never sure what is literal and when I am supposed to fill in the blank. Linux has a lot of stupid_files_like_this.

http://cortman.wordpress.com/2013/03/14/lubuntu-12-10-virtual-box-setup/

Found this while investigating an idea to be able to auto install Guest Additions in Openbox for new users. Think I almost have it.........

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : VirtualBox
« Réponse #1 le: 18 mars 2013 à 20:24:02 »
Linux has a lot of stupid_files_like_this.

Hi,
You know not, but the "stupid_files_like_this", or the "stupid-files-like-this", or even the camel "StupidFilesLikeThis" have a reason to be that way.

Try to have 2 files in a directory, one named:

intelligent file like this

and the other

intelligent file like that

That often happens with names of music files for instance. Then try to delete just one and not the other with the rm command line, and using tab to complete:

rm intell<tab>...
that will go up to the "intelligent file like" part, the shell will add \ signs to fill in the blanks, then... it might become difficult.

Worse now, in Windows boxes : I have been told that one person wants to right-click to a file which have  blanks, and select "send by mail to..." the system will not be able to start the Outlook or Thunderbird program supposed to do the job, then the sysadmin in the company will try to explain to this person "either you don't put blanks in the file name, or you open your mail client and fetch it from there". The person does not understand why ?

I have been taught to avoid creating files and directories with blanks in the name, and that is for sure a good way to deal with files.

Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

konaexpress

• Invité
« Réponse #2 le: 18 mars 2013 à 20:47:39 »
I really have to stop posting tongue_in_cheek.

What I meant was that when I read:

"Put this in a terminal and hit return"
sudo mount -t vboxsf -o uid=1000,gid=1000 host_folder_name /home/username/shared_folder
...I did.

What they wanted me to do is...

sudo mount -t vboxsf -o uid=1000,gid=1000 VBox-Folder /home/john/iMac-folder

This can be a non-start for new users.

djohnston

• Invité
« Réponse #3 le: 18 mars 2013 à 21:04:44 »
Found this article on a blog that tells how to get the shared folders to work in VBox. It worked after a couple of tries at it.  It's always the "your_name_here" part that throws me a bit because I am never sure what is literal and when I am supposed to fill in the blank. Linux has a lot of stupid_files_like_this.

http://cortman.wordpress.com/2013/03/14/lubuntu-12-10-virtual-box-setup/

Found this while investigating an idea to be able to auto install Guest Additions in Openbox for new users. Think I almost have it.........
As far as the shared folder, you don't need to do all that for a Linux VM. It's as simple as point and click. After you have the virtualbox guest additions installed in the guest, open a terminal in the guest and su-to-root or use sudo in place of su in the command lines shown below.

su -
usermod -aG vboxsf (yourusername)
exit

Substitute your actual user name for (username). vboxsf is the group you are adding your user to. On the host machine, I have a directory named Shared. In that directory, I create a new directory for each VM I am going to share files between the host and the guest. For example, the folder ~/Shared/OBubuntu was created for the OBubuntu VM. Now, just point VBox to the shared folder.

Pull up Settings for the VM, select Shared Folders in the left panel. Click the add shared folder button (the small icon that looks like a folder with a plus sign). Click the Folder Path button and select Other in the pulldown menu.

Browse to and open the folder you want to use. Click the Choose button.

Check the Auto-mount and Make Permanent options.

Of course, you have to use a different method with Windows and other VMs that do not understand the usermod command. Also note that you cannot access the shared folder from the VM until you have rebooted the VM after applying the usermod command.

« Modifié: 18 mars 2013 à 21:06:37 par djohnston »

konaexpress

• Invité
« Réponse #4 le: 18 mars 2013 à 21:42:46 »
Sounds like you are on your way to a much needed article.

djohnston

• Invité
Re : Re : VirtualBox
« Réponse #5 le: 18 mars 2013 à 21:50:09 »
Sounds like you are on your way to a much needed article.
(See above.)  :D  Seriously, I'd have to do it on the wiki. I tend to get long-winded, and there's a post limit of 1500 characters. See this.

konaexpress

• Invité
« Réponse #6 le: 18 mars 2013 à 21:57:53 »
Start a Wordpress Blog, it is free and stupid simple to setup. Done it a few times now on wordpress.com and on other servers.

If I stick with building Bobcat, I will more than likely use Wordpress as the site CMS. An article like this is worth a METRIC TON!
« Modifié: 18 mars 2013 à 22:01:02 par konaexpress »

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #7 le: 19 mars 2013 à 00:40:46 »
Hi, we do have a Wordpress and djohnston is registered, but this type of content management system is best for articles and pages, not tutorials. We are waiting for Desmoric. I know he asked for a webspace, and I hope we will have it soon.

Until then I'll try to figure out where in the admin the limit on the forum posts is setup, and raise it.

PS: I just found the limit section and it was not 1500 caracters in the field, but 20000 : twenty thousand. I raised it to 2 million (2000000).

« Modifié: 19 mars 2013 à 00:46:40 par mélodie »

konaexpress

• Invité
« Réponse #8 le: 19 mars 2013 à 02:01:53 »
but this type of content management system is best for articles and pages, not tutorials.

You are kidding me, correct?

EDIT: this guid is about writing Wordpress tuts but you will get the idea.
http://wp.smashingmagazine.com/2011/11/08/writing-wordpress-guides-for-the-advanced-beginner/

And another tut.
http://themeshaper.com/blog/
« Modifié: 19 mars 2013 à 02:32:44 par konaexpress »

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #9 le: 19 mars 2013 à 02:37:38 »
No, I am not kidding. The encoding is not the right one for computing tutorials. For what Wordpress tutorials is concerned it is different because code is not involved. (different types of quotes, and some types of signs which are misinterpreted if not enclosed with special entities... it's complicated stuff, believe me, I have gone through that before, ie here: http://pclinuxos-fr.org/category/tutoriels makes me think, even the '--' sign can't be displayd correctly, is replaced by sort of a long dash and then we have had here : http://wiki.pclinuxos-fr.org/doku.php - which is what we are wainting from Desmoric, except that he should add a plugin for our two languages).

PS: about Wordpress, I have been using it regularly since several years, made several blogs, removed them, again new ones, then started looking on multisite, and I ran one since several years and another one since a couple of years...  one is citrotux.org, you can visit it... I am not an expert, I do not even code, however I know enough of it... to know what it is best made for. ;)

« Modifié: 19 mars 2013 à 02:40:46 par mélodie »

konaexpress

• Invité
« Réponse #10 le: 19 mars 2013 à 03:52:06 »
Don't get me wrong, Wordpress is not perfect but what CMS is.

If you want to use Wordpress for code then you can try this link, they are not perfect but.......

http://blog.templatemonster.com/2011/04/15/wordpress-plugins-code-snippets-displaying/

Just for conversation sake, what CMS would you recommend to use?

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #11 le: 19 mars 2013 à 04:31:37 »
If you want to use Wordpress for code then you can try this link, they are not perfect but.......

http://blog.templatemonster.com/2011/04/15/wordpress-plugins-code-snippets-displaying/

Are the plugins presented listed in the wordpress gallery ? If not, do they pass security tests ? I don't talk about the code you have to insert yourself, (making it less simple to edit a post) but about the codes already integrated to plugins.

Just for conversation sake, what CMS would you recommend to use?

Wordpress of course ! Why would I be using it ? :D

Another place where I have a wordpress blog is at wordpress.com : meylodie.wordpress.com, but that has been some time since I posted there...

konaexpress

• Invité
« Réponse #12 le: 19 mars 2013 à 04:46:21 »
I can see if you are trying to show a bunch of code but most code Djohnston would want to show can be done with a .jpg or .png file.

Put the code in a terminal or in Geany and do a screen grab of it. This will show what it should really look like and will not get mangled by Wordpress. Just zoom in a bit on the screen grab and post it. Done!

Don't you think this would work?

konaexpress

• Invité
Re : Re : Re : VirtualBox
« Réponse #13 le: 19 mars 2013 à 04:53:07 »

Wordpress of course ! Why would I be using it ? :D

Why is it times like this, I think about drinking?  LOL         *wanders off scratching head*

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #14 le: 19 mars 2013 à 05:04:10 »
I can see if you are trying to show a bunch of code but most code Djohnston would want to show can be done with a .jpg or .png file.

Put the code in a terminal or in Geany and do a screen grab of it. This will show what it should really look like and will not get mangled by Wordpress. Just zoom in a bit on the screen grab and post it. Done!

Don't you think this would work?

This is lots of hassle for not much, and additionally to it, by doing so the post would be unavailable to the impaired visitors. Wordpress is perhaps the only CMS of this level providing full accessibility to visually impaired people (as long as there aren't crappy extensions or themes which compromise this quality), so putting images for texts would be a pity.

I have said : I added two zeros to the 20000 characters limit, and we should get a Dokuwiki to do better, in a time not too far I hope.

Desmoric ? Where are you ?