Auteur Sujet: Samsung's future is Tizen, not Android  (Lu 2877 fois)

ka9yhd

• Invité
Samsung's future is Tizen, not Android
« le: 16 mars 2013 à 07:53:33 »
Yesterday, during the most insane launch event in the history of technology, Samsung unveiled its next big flagship, the Galaxy S4. I really couldn't care less about this new phone - another plastic phone that looks exactly like its predecessor - but the flurry of interviews with Samsung executives that followed is far more interesting. With them, Samsung has repositioned Tizen - and if you connect the dots, something interesting is starting to appear.

The Galaxy S4 event last night set a new standard for total pointlessness, and was so over the top and ridiculous I really don't want to waste too many words on it. One thing stood out though - even if, by now, it should no longer do so: very few, if any, mentions of Android or Google. Here we have what will inevitably become one of the world's most popular smartphones, yet there's no mention of the operating system it runs, or the company behind said operating system.

Then there's Samsung's attitude towards Windows 8, Windows RT, and Windows Phone 8. Mildly put, the company doesn't really see much value in any of them. In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, Samsung's J.K. Shin said that "smartphones and tablets based on Microsoft's Windows operating system aren't selling very well. There is a preference in the market for Android. In Europe, we're also seeing lacklustre demand for Windows-based products."

So, the company is de-emphasising Android and Google, while at the same time talking down anything related to Windows. There's one final piece of the puzzle - and that's Tizen. In an interview with Bloomberg, Lee Young Hee, executive vice president of Samsung's mobile division, revealed that not only will Samsung release phones running Tizen later this year, they will be high-end.

Full article:  http://www.osnews.com/story/26865/Samsung_s_future_is_Tizen_not_Android

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : Samsung's future is Tizen, not Android
« Réponse #1 le: 16 mars 2013 à 10:40:12 »
Hi,

So that was not you who was there ? Shouldn't you put the text between quote tags ?   ;)

Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

djohnston

• Invité
« Réponse #2 le: 16 mars 2013 à 17:10:20 »
I don't know much about TizenOS, so I looked it up. From reading their About web page, they're a Linux Foundation member who has written an SDK and API for HTML5, and an OS that is much more open sourced than Android. It all sounds good to me.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #3 le: 16 mars 2013 à 19:51:14 »
Same here ! Having all those big companies producing and working with OpenSource is a very great thing.

Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.