Auteur Sujet: Putting it in perspective  (Lu 3562 fois)

Hors ligne Fel

• Néophyte
Putting it in perspective
« le: 12 mars 2013 à 12:25:52 »
Nothing to do with  Einstein's relativity but...

New perspective for melodie :

« Modifié: 12 mars 2013 à 13:36:18 par Fel »

Hors ligne Taco.22

• Membre Senior
    • Scorpio_Openbox
Re : Putting it in perspective
« Réponse #1 le: 12 mars 2013 à 15:05:05 »
That sort of stuff is all too simplistic, and adds nothing to the whole picture of people's contributions to computing.  I find it curious that many people within the Linux community go out of their way to attack Steve Jobs but hardly a bad word is heard about Bill Gates.  I came to Linux through Apple - I am used to being an outsider, being in the minority, having a creative ethos regarding computing, having a healthy contempt for MS and not having to put up with viruses.  Linux extended that with the added advantages of being open source and sharing information and enthusiasm.  Windows for me is still the enemy - it has held back computing by at least ten to fifteen years.  Because of the limitations of IE SVG graphics on the web have only recently become a standard, despite being around for years.  That is only one example, and to continue in that vein would take volumes.  The point is that MS has been the boat anchor of the computing world for years, and to take cheap shots at those who forged their own path is neither constructive or appreciative of what they have achieved.  I'm no fan of Steve Jobs as a man, but he had a knack for seeing the potential in things that other people dismissed or overlooked.  Xerox was never going to put their GUI on a PC, the MP3 player was only ever going to be just a toy and the tablet was never going to be taken seriously.  Jobs saw the potential in all of those things and ran with it.  Genius - maybe not, but then isn't part of "genius" being able to see what you are looking at?  At least Apple and Jobs have created stuff, unlike MS which has a proven court record of being decidedly dodgy at the best of times, and have rarely seemed to have ever created anything themselves.  As a result, and in no small part due to Steve Jobs, MS now find that although they still have about 90% of the desktop market, they only have about 30% of all personal computing devices in total, which includes desktops.

I would also suggest that the image is an insult to the memory of Dennis Ritchie.  He spent his life as a passionate programmer and inventor and I doubt he would ever want to see himself cast as "superior" to Jobs or any other figure in the industry.  And what the heck, if you want other unrecognised heroes of the industry why not throw in Gary Kildall's name - and maybe ask what happened to him at the hands of IBM and MS.  I don't see Steve Jobs involved there!             
« Modifié: 12 mars 2013 à 15:07:57 par Taco.22 »
What can go wrong !!!

konaexpress

• Invité
« Réponse #2 le: 12 mars 2013 à 15:26:19 »
I have the same feelings about this, well said.

I have friends that work for apple and yes, Steve Jobs was a total @ss as a person. Boy did he have a vision though....

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : Re : Putting it in perspective
« Réponse #3 le: 12 mars 2013 à 15:43:29 »
Boy did he have a vision though....

Sure !

;D

Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

Hors ligne Fel

• Néophyte
« Réponse #4 le: 12 mars 2013 à 15:47:47 »
Google translation , sorry Taco &  kona (I would have come to think in English ).

Steve Jobs was lit.
And this is not an attack against him, but just a perspective.
I am not responsible for the poster.
Steve Jobs seems to be a bit like Warhol.
Always at the right time in the right place.

I am not a programmer and I also do not think Apple is really interested in computers. Their motto seems to be toxicology. (What can make people addicted?)
That is, their concern.
The largest investments Apple recently headed to the psycho-neurological research.
This can not be invented.

Steve Jobs was a genius ... communication and especially buziness.

NB I invite the viewing of an issue of ArteTV: "The underside of Apple." It is very informative.

Apple is good or bad, it's not my problem.
  I would even say that Apple is very good at his style.
  And I maintain that Steve Jobs was lit.
I understand also, that in the computer world, it should not touch Steve Jobs.

Sorry for "insult to the memory of Dennis Ritchie"
« Modifié: 12 mars 2013 à 15:49:20 par Fel »

djohnston

• Invité
Re : Re : Putting it in perspective
« Réponse #5 le: 12 mars 2013 à 16:43:33 »
I find it curious that many people within the Linux community go out of their way to attack Steve Jobs but hardly a bad word is heard about Bill Gates.

Hmmm. I don't see that from where I am. Maybe we travel in different circles. I see Bill Gates vilified quite a bit. And with good reason. I think the original post was simply an attempt to reflect public perception.

Steve Jobs = revered visionary
Dennis Ritchie = mediocre technologist

Yes, it is an oversimplification.

konaexpress

• Invité
« Réponse #6 le: 12 mars 2013 à 17:44:09 »
You have a point to this.

I think Steve Jobs has done great things with computers.......but so has Linus T. and a bunch of others I think. We all have our own demons to battle with.