Auteur Sujet: #! Welcome Script  (Lu 7104 fois)

konaexpress

• Invité
#! Welcome Script
« le: 08 mars 2013 à 16:58:36 »
I have been taking a look at #! Welcome scripts and though I do not know Python, I think I can mod them to work with one of the Openbox distros here at this site. It is just a step of scripts, one to the next so a dev could just use the ones he or she wants to use.

I thought it would be nice to give a user the option to choose between OO, LO and Abiword. Midori, Firefox and Cromium or Google Chrome or a choice of other apps .

Any opinions on this, it would help to keep the distro smaller I think.

konaexpress

• Invité
Re : #! Welcome Script
« Réponse #1 le: 08 mars 2013 à 23:12:01 »
Found all the scripts on git-hub, now the fun begins. I'm using village in  space for this.

konaexpress

• Invité
« Réponse #2 le: 15 mars 2013 à 15:54:16 »
Well, looks like this is all a bunch of Bash scripts.

On advise frame a friend, Im going to try and do it in Python as this can be expanded on later and easily adapted for others to use.

djohnston

• Invité
Re : Re : #! Welcome Script
« Réponse #3 le: 15 mars 2013 à 19:32:28 »
On advise frame a friend, ...

Who you gonna frame?  :D

Can you post a link to the github page with the scripts?

konaexpress

• Invité
Re : Re : Re : #! Welcome Script
« Réponse #4 le: 15 mars 2013 à 19:39:43 »
Who you gonna frame?  :D

Can you post a link to the github page with the scripts?

ooopppsss! Stupid auto correct on the iPad.

Here is a link to the Bash scripts. https://github.com/corenominal/cb-welcome

Air (my friend) said that what I want to do can be done in Bash but he felt that by doing it in Python, it could be modified if needed and used for other things or just expanding it do do more. He has no axes to grind either way.
« Modifié: 15 mars 2013 à 19:43:47 par konaexpress »

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #5 le: 15 mars 2013 à 23:14:25 »
Any opinions on this, it would help to keep the distro smaller I think.

Hi,
I am going to express my opinion, which is based only on what I live with the people I meet with around me. Whereas choice is concerned, less I provide choice to them, the better I am. When they tell me they wish to continue using Google Chrome with they started to use under Windows, I can do something for them. Many don't know what an internet browser is. They think that "they start internet" when clicking on some blue 'e' on the desktop.

Concerning office application, I can't decently provide Abiword, because after I tested the version 2.8 a few years and the version 2.9 beta a few weeks, I could see it's not stable, it crashes, it looses the work, I had *.abw files I could not open anymore, not even with OpenOffice.org (Libreoffice was not yet invented) and later the same happened with the most recent 2.9 beta which is default provided in Debian and Ubuntu repositories.

At a time, after a furious research I found a utmost light Office application which is not known around, and is under GPL : alas not provided in [put here as many distro names as you want] and when I tried to compile it it failed. i sent a mail to the author, who answered once and I never had new again since.

Anyhow light it is, but can't compile and ugly it is too.

Now we can have Libreoffice, or Openoffice. I don't know how Openoffice.org evolved since Oracle gave it to the Apache foundation (2011) because since Libreoffice spread out I used it only, and I am very satisfied with it, it works well, no glitch, no issue whatever.

Therefore either I won't provide anything, or I will provide what I consider being the best available Free software. I can change my mind, and say... you show me that really Openoffice.org is the best, because you can describe actions which can be reproduced, and undoubtedly, it proves this is the best, then I'll provide OOo. If you tell me : he, there is an update to Abiword, with this the changelog : I'll give it a try again!

About the idea of making scripts : as many as you want, but to provide the choice of apps, it already exists under another shape, it has for name meta packages.

About packages : it would be very useful to have people making packages. I am decided to learn packaging, and restart working on:
openbox-menu

make a package for
obsession

and also:

deadbeef, and... jumanji !

and to start as soon as possible. I have found a man who is a Debian developer and accepted to be my mentor for this task. So now the OBubuntu is RC8, next a RC9 because I see one important detail to improve, then I'll leave it alone a few weeks...

If others here think your idea is good, if you really want to do what you have in mind, go ahead. Just I don't think more metapackages out of the package manager ring is likely to be very useful.

« Modifié: 15 mars 2013 à 23:20:01 par mélodie »
Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

konaexpress

• Invité
« Réponse #6 le: 16 mars 2013 à 01:24:34 »
Not sure how to reply to this.............OK. :-X

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : Re : #! Welcome Script
« Réponse #7 le: 16 mars 2013 à 10:36:08 »
Not sure how to reply to this.............OK. :-X

You could do it for the fun and for training, even if the utility can be discussed...
Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.