Auteur Sujet: Katana Black (LXDE)  (Lu 6999 fois)

konaexpress

• Invité
Katana Black (LXDE)
« le: 05 mars 2013 à 02:50:34 »
Just for fun, here is a screenshot of an LXDE install I started playing with.

Screen shot 2013-03-04 at 5.44.39 PM by The Kona Express, on Flickr

konaexpress

• Invité
Re : Re : Katana Black (LXDE)
« Réponse #1 le: 07 mars 2013 à 17:37:07 »
You do excellent work my friend.   :)

Thanks, I was just goofing around a bit with LXDE. I must say that I really like this version a lot, this would be a fun one to keep around.
« Modifié: 07 mars 2013 à 17:38:56 par konaexpress »

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : Katana Black (LXDE)
« Réponse #2 le: 07 mars 2013 à 20:20:47 »
I also find it has a very nice look. Thanks for sharing!

Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

konaexpress

• Invité
« Réponse #3 le: 07 mars 2013 à 21:13:03 »
Yea, maybe I will load LXDE ontop of Djohnstons Katana/Razor cutie and see what happens with it. He is way better at making a distribution than I am.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
« Réponse #4 le: 07 mars 2013 à 22:48:23 »
Yea, maybe I will load LXDE ontop of Djohnstons Katana/Razor cutie and see what happens with it. He is way better at making a distribution than I am.

My feeling is simply that his experience started longer ago and his level of training is higher. This does not mean you are not good, this means you need getting experience (which will come with time, obviously).

If you want to continue training, perhaps you would have to try both ends alternatively : once strip a distro, the other time build from the base, or from a very small base. In Debian, one interesting method for a start is using a netinstall to install Debian and once the netinstall installed, boot to the black screen (the tty), and start installing the X server, driver for your gpu, a desktop... that kind of stuff, and have a look at what it pulls in (and what it doesn't pull in).

Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

djohnston

• Invité
« Réponse #5 le: 07 mars 2013 à 23:35:30 »
My working experience with computers goes back to 1974. But, I don't rest on my laurels. Learning is a never-ending process. And computer technology changes rapidly. First there was init. Now there are:

boot-scripts: Event-driven. Each script declares its dependencies. Run order gets sorted out.

initNG: asynchronous startup

Apple launchd: init-substitute (PID 1) launchd runs /etc/rc, scans through /System/Library/LaunchDaemons and /Library/LaunchDaemons and acts on the plists ("property lists", which are XML goo) as needed, and starts the login window. (Something called SystemStarter was used prior to OS X v. 10.4.)

Solaris SMF (Service Management Facility): better service monitoring, debugging, and automated recovery, event-driven w/dependency tracking, better support for delegating some administrative tasks to non-privileged users, parallel startup.

runit: provides reliable interface to supervise daemon startup, shutdown, control, supervision. Provides clean process state, reliable logging, fast startup/shutdown. Small, portable.

syscan: by Daniel J. Bernstein, provided in daemontools

Ubuntu upstart: asynchronous/parallel and fast startup/shutdown.

eINIT: "full replacement of init designed to start processes asynchronously, but with the potential of doing things without shell scripts". Uses an XML configuration file.

Too much to learn. But, the thing about learning is that you don't do it all at once. It's an ongoing process, and one learns a bit at a time.

djohnston

• Invité
« Réponse #6 le: 08 mars 2013 à 22:02:29 »
Put another way, I really suck at art work! Like ka9hyd (sorry, I forgot your first name) says, you do have a lot to contribute.

konaexpress

• Invité
« Réponse #7 le: 09 mars 2013 à 03:30:39 »
Put another way, I really suck at art work! Like ka9hyd (sorry, I forgot your first name) says, you do have a lot to contribute.

Looking at the last post, I think his name is Rob. ;D