Auteur Sujet: PCManFM file manager is ported to Qt?  (Lu 3239 fois)

djohnston

• Invité
PCManFM file manager is ported to Qt?
« le: 20 février 2013 à 20:46:15 »
From the LXDE blog:

No, LXDE will NOT use Qt. Don’t panic!!
It’s just one of my side projects and was an experiment to test how good libfm and Qt are. Since the core library of PCManFM, libfm, is carefully separated from its Gtk+ UI code, theoratically it can be ported to other GUI toolkits. To give it  a test, I played with Qt recently. The result is quite satisfactory and impressive. I must admit that working with Qt is quite pleasant.

Everybody loves screenshots so here is one.

At first glance, this looks like the original GTK+ version very much. Because I choose “Cleanlook” Qt style, it highly resembles Gtk+ “Clearlooks” theme. Besides, I load the “elementary” icon theme. Though it matches the looks and feels of typical Gnome/Gtk+ programs, this is an 100% pure Qt program.

The most interesting and unique part of the PCManFM Qt port are:

No KDE dependency. Really, it’s a lightweight pure Qt4 program.
    Almost as fast as the original Gtk+ version. I have not taken any time to do optimization yet. It’s possible to make it faster after optimization.
    Uses Libfm + glib/gio, and supports gvfs. So you can mount remote filesystems.
    Source code is clean and short, written in C++.
    Desktop independent, do not depend on any specific desktop environment (although it uses glib/gio/gvfs, it does not require Gnome)
    Built with cmake. No more autotools.
    Later, when the APIs becomes stable, I’ll make it two parts, PCManFM main binary and libfm-Qt, which can be used in other pure Qt programs.

For decades, people from the Gnome/Gtk+ camp and the KDE/Qt camp don’t work each other sometimes. Each of them likes to reinvent the wheel and create functionally equivalent programs with different toolkits. The fact is, technology from both camps can be mixed very well. Qt-based UI sit on top of low level platform APIs from Gnome stack is another good option.

PCManFM Qt, when finished, will be a perfect mix of Gnome libraries + Qt-based UI.  I think it’s a good news for who like Qt but don’t want to install KDE.

The source code is available here:
git clone git://pcmanfm.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/pcmanfm/libfm-qt

It’s still a work in progress and many parts don’t work yet.
If you’re a Qt developer and is interested in helping the development, feel free to contact me.

P.S. Special thanks to KDE developers Aaron Seigo and Will Stephenson. I met them last year during an open source event “COSCUP 2012” in Taipei, Taiwan. They gave some instructions about how to use Qt. Then, I finished the basic skeleton of this port at that night.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : PCManFM file manager is ported to Qt?
« Réponse #1 le: 21 février 2013 à 01:09:35 »
Hi,

And this post was also sent to the lxde mailing list by pcman, where it received a warm welcome. It seems qt could be lighter than gtk, after all, and well, they say it's easier to code with it, than with gtk3.

Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

djohnston

• Invité
« Réponse #2 le: 21 février 2013 à 01:39:33 »
RazorQt is definitely light, but lacking in features because it's a newer project. KDE4 is definitely lighter in resources than Gnome3, from firsthand experience. I can run KDE4 with full KWin compositing on hardware that reverts to fallback mode in Gnome3. And the Gnome devs, in their infinite wisdom, have decided to do away with fallback mode. Brilliant.

konaexpress

• Invité
« Réponse #3 le: 23 février 2013 à 15:52:23 »
This is why Gnome is dead to many of us.

I have not played with qt but I have read that it is way easier to program in. From what I understand, GTK3 is a dang mess.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : Re : PCManFM file manager is ported to Qt?
« Réponse #4 le: 14 mars 2013 à 10:11:30 »
This is why Gnome is dead to many of us.

I have not played with qt but I have read that it is way easier to program in. From what I understand, GTK3 is a dang mess.

It seems more than one dev says so. And the impaired users now look at the development of LXDE, and bring contribs there because Gnome has become way too heavy for many machines... else I am not sure what becomes of the tools for the visually impaired people in Gnome 3 ?

Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.