Auteur Sujet: OBUbuntu RC7  (Lu 3920 fois)

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
OBUbuntu RC7
« le: 11 mars 2013 à 16:58:22 »
Hi,

I have removed RC4 to RC6, left RC3 / 470 MB which could become the base for a small version to be kept low in size. It can be installed in English, or any other language, just hit a key on the keyboard once the first image comes up, then you can choose the language and the boot entry. In the live, if you choose to "test without installing" and get to the desktop, if you want to logout/login, you will have to type "ubuntu" as user, then click in the password field and hit enter without password.

RC7 is a turning point : it has Libreoffice 4, with a ppa : writer, calc, impress and draw are included. The ISO is 699 MB large!

Here is the full list of applications installed. System, administration tools, and user applications are listed, I don't have time to do a more detailed presentation now, but I can already provide that information.

alsa-base
alsamixergui
alsa-tools
alsa-utils
animals
apmd
apport-gtk
bleachbit
bogofilter
deborphan
dpkg-repack
epdfview
exaile
faenza-icon-theme
feh
file-roller
firefox
firefox-locale-en
firefox-locale-fr
firmware-b43-installer
flashplugin-installer
flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound
fonts-ubuntu-font-family-console
foremost
fslint
galculator
geany
geany-common
geeqie
gnome-accessibility-themes
gnome-icon-theme
gnome-mplayer
gnome-system-tools
gnome-themes-standard
gparted
gpointing-device-settings
grub-customizer
gstreamer0.10-plugins-base
gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
htop
imagemagick-common
irssi
jockey-common
jockey-gtk
language-pack-fr
language-pack-fr-base
language-pack-gnome-fr
language-pack-gnome-fr-base
language-selector-gnome
laptop-mode-tools
lftp
libdvdread4
libreoffice-calc
libreoffice-help-fr
libreoffice-impress
libreoffice-writer
lightdm
lightdm-gtk-greeter
linux-firmware-nonfree
linux-headers-3.2.0-38
linux-headers-3.2.0-38-generic
linux-headers-generic
linux-image-3.2.0-38-generic
lm-sensors
lxappearance
lxrandr
lxsession-edit
lxshortcut
make
manpages-fr
mc
medibuntu-keyring
menu
mesa-utils
murrine-themes
network-manager
network-manager-gnome
network-manager-pptp
network-manager-pptp-gnome
ntfsprogs
ntp
nvidia-common
obconf
obmenu
openbox
openbox-menu
openssh-server
p7zip-full
pastebinit
pcmanfm
pcmciautils
plymouth-theme-solar
pppoe
pptp-linux
radeontool
reiser4progs
reiserfsprogs
rfkill
sakura
scrot
sdparm
shimmer-themes
software-center
ssh
sshfs
sylpheed
synaptic
testdisk
tint2
ttf-ubuntu-font-family
ubiquity-slideshow-lubuntu
udisks
update-notifier
upower
usb-creator-gtk
usb-modeswitch
util-linux-locales
virtualbox-guest-dkms
virtualbox-guest-utils
virtualbox-guest-x11
volumeicon-alsa
wfrench
wireless-tools
wodim
xchat
xcompmgr
xfs
xfsprogs
xorg
xscreensaver
xscreensaver-data
xserver-xorg-input-mtrack
xsnow
xterm
zram-config

tweaks:
zram-config is started from the /etc/rc.local file.

flashplugin : the libflashplayer.so from the original package does not work anymore on machines where the CPU does not have the sse2 instruction ! ie : amd athlon xp 2800+. But it does work with the one provided in the google chrome deb package.

In /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer you will find this readme:
$ cat README-flash-player-fix
# Please read
# [url]https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/adobe-flashplugin/+bug/968759[/url]

# solved here by extracting and renaming libpepflashplayer.so from the
# i386 "google-chrome-stable_current_i386.deb" from
# [url]https://www.google.com/chrome?platform=linux[/url]
# as per the comment
# [url]https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/adobe-flashplugin/+bug/968759/comments/12[/url]

therefore youtube videos can be watched even on machines with no sse2 instruction!

I have been told the file /etc/resolv.conf had kept my configuration (RC4 and RC5). So this one has a resolv.conf which is empty.

The Libreoffice program is very slow in Virtualbox. I have noticed swapping while more than half of the ram was still available : if you notice swapping, you can edit /etc/sysctl.conf once the distro installed : I have added these lines at the end:
# Force the kernel to use more of the available ram before swapping
# See here for more info:
# [url]https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Maximizing_Performance#Swappiness[/url]
# Uncomment the two following lines to make it active
#vm.swappiness=20
#vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50

so uncomment just the 2 last lines. (reboot if needed, or just "swapoff -a" and "swapon -a").

Medibuntu repos is included but not activated. If you want to install libdvdcss2 to watch video dvd, you can activate this repos, and deactivate it just after. Perhaps you will get a warning about the gpg key which needs to be imported, not sure. You will also find several other ppa repos installed : meets for openbox-menu, one for Grub Customizer, one for the Faenza icons...

The gnome-mplayer video player is installed. VLC is much better imo, because only VLC  has allowed me to select the language in a DVD, (same config for reading a movie in each test), but VLC pulls in really too much stuff for one ISO to stay under 700 MB.

Here are the iso and md5sum files:
http://tyruiop.eu/~melodie/Downloads/ISOS/Ubuntu/obubuntu-12.04-i386-RC7.iso
http://tyruiop.eu/~melodie/Downloads/ISOS/Ubuntu/obubuntu-12.04-i386-RC7.iso.md5

Todo : configure a gfxboot-theme-ubuntu, an ubiquity-slideshow, find out how to bring the 2 desktop icons to the installed part using the casper scripts... and probably several other things. Let's see how the testing goes ?

/Edit : this version lacks the xerver-xorg-video-nouveau driver, and I realized there is no nv driver available anymore in this version of Ubuntu! Therefore if someone tests on a machine with nvidia, let me know if vesa is used ?

« Modifié: 11 mars 2013 à 19:59:33 par mélodie »
Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.

konaexpress

• Invité
Re : OBUbuntu RC7
« Réponse #1 le: 11 mars 2013 à 17:16:36 »
Downloaded and installed. works pretty good. I do find it a bit odd to have the menu item in LXpanel and the openbox menu at the same time. I can see that having LXpanel may not work well on my netbook as the Openbox config app wiil not format to my tiny screen and LXpanel covers the apply button.

Nice job on this.

Hors ligne melodie

• Administrateur
  • Membre Héroïque
    • Citrotux
Re : OBUbuntu RC7
« Réponse #2 le: 11 mars 2013 à 19:46:59 »
Hi John,

You could try another configuration for your lxpanel : right-click at a part of the panel where there isn't any item, hit "properties" and once there change it to autohide. This way the panel should not hide the "Apply" button in any application.

About openbox menus: it's easy to switch, you can hit the openbox right-click menu "Preferences > Desktop preferences" and there go to the tab "Advanced", untick "show menus provided by window manager when desktop is clicked " then go to menu "Openbox > reconfigure" and right-click again on the desktop. The choice there should have changed.

« Modifié: 11 mars 2013 à 19:57:11 par mélodie »
Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.